Mitsu 2.3L turbo diesel...info?

MichaelJ

Reaction score
Hey all, new here. I drive a '79 Ramcharger that I've built up(7" lift all susp w/ no blocks, 3/4 ton axles, crossover, borgeson shaft, shackle flip, 36x12.50's, herculined interior...etc), but am looking at getting a diesel to run some biodiesel in though it has to be 4wd. I found an 84 Dodge D50 4x4 Turbo diesel 5 spd. It's got the mitsu 2.3L turbo diesel. Stock it's only got 84 hp and 1xx (??) ft lbs. Any idea on what kind of mods I could do to bring up the power a little bit? Anybody have any experience with these engines? Thanks!

Michael

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
hey welcome to the site!:thumbsup:
don't know much about that engine but if you can get it cheap it would be cool to fab some mods for it?

MichaelJ

Reaction score
Yeah, I believe they're mechanical injection, so maybe I can turn up the pump, get some bigger injectors, bigger turbo, intercool it and maybe get 120-150 hp out of the thing...?

Michael

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contact This man. They build small 1 liter Yanmar diesels for Mini Rod Tractor pullers, heads, turbos, injectors......Knows how to make them scream. Good people to talk to also.

Eddie Ingram
Performance Cylinder Heads
Route 1 Box 323A1
Dunlap, TN
37327-9607
United States

423-554-5149

He's also listed on Superflows website.

Specializing in, but not limited to, pulling tractor heads, cams, turbos, fuel systems, flow bench testing, intake and exhaust work. Have access to dyno services.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
Thanks man, I'll check it out for sure if I end up getting the truck!
Anybody got some personal experience with these engines?

Michael

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i just know of a couple of guys that have the gas raiders and there parts seem to be quite rare. i didnt even know they had diesels for them. wonder if it would be a common engine overseas?

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the same engine they tossed in some of the Rangers of the late 80s. I'd be curious to know if that was true or not....

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I doubt you'd ever be satisfied with the power of that engine. Heck, they were dogs in small pickups. Try for a MB/Izuzu 6 cyl.

460429_freak

Crazy about diesels
Reaction score
for what your wanting way underpowered!!!!! I was going to install one in my explorer ... what you really need is a 3.9 cummins (4bt) that would be awsome and they usally have a chevy bellhousing pattern perfect for a dodge just use a chevy tranny and t-case ... or you could always pick up a used 6.2/6.5 chevy and insert it...

gandalf

Reaction score
Try looking at this site.

http://www.4x4wire.com/

One of their forums is for Mitsu diesels. The people I've found there, on their Isuzu board, are pretty good.

If you decide to not go through with the project, let me know. I have an old Montero which uses the Mitsu 2.6 engine, same as they put in the d-50.

HTH, Ken

samwe

Reaction score
I have one of these Mitsubishi trucks. Has a Ranger with the same motor too for parts.
Mine is only getting 23mpg and is no race car. Everyone else claims to be getting 30mpg. I am not so sure any more.

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one of these Mitsubishi trucks. Has a Ranger with the same motor too for parts.
Mine is only getting 23mpg and is no race car. Everyone else claims to be getting 30mpg. I am not so sure any more.

Wanna sell it?
No, joking...but I am lookin to re-power a '70 F. Bronco w/an engine "like" that. Needs: ~450-550 lb sm 4 cyl diesel, 90hp?, 200tq @ ~1,500rpm, automotive bell, non-computer controlled, line pump - so I can "turn it up".

Does it need a tune up, R U doing everything, non motor related - to boost MPGs?

Last edited:

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your serious about putting a diesel into that truck you need to go a little bigger .. it could be modified to pull your truck ok but you wlll lose your engine life and thus forego the whole point of running a diesel engine ... If i was you I would save that engine and tranny for a jeep cherokee or a toyota 4-Runner or something along those lines and find a slightly larger engine for your dodge ram truck ... the 4BT is an excellent choice .. although a little hard to come by ... but the mercedes 5-cyl diesel would give you plenty of oomph and they seem to be quite plentiful on e-bay .. but the UD trucks as well as the GM/Isuzu small delivery trucks have 3.8 or 3.9 Litre diesel engines in them which are quite horsie and get good fuel economy ... Putting that small of an engine into that size of truck will work but you will have severe life issues down the road.

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mitsu 2.3L tutbo diesel

If your serious about putting a diesel into that truck you need to go a little bigger .. it could be modified to pull your truck ok but you wlll lose your engine life and thus forego the whole point of running a diesel engine ... If i was you I would save that engine and tranny for a jeep cherokee or a toyota 4-Runner or something along those lines and find a slightly larger engine for your dodge ram truck ... the 4BT is an excellent choice .. although a little hard to come by ... but the mercedes 5-cyl diesel would give you plenty of oomph and they seem to be quite plentiful on e-bay .. but the UD trucks as well as the GM/Isuzu small delivery trucks have 3.8 or 3.9 Litre diesel engines in them which are quite horsie and get good fuel economy ... Putting that small of an engine into that size of truck will work but you will have severe life issues down the road.

What "sz" motor would U suggest for a 4,ooo # 'wrk truck"? I want it on the small side rather than over powered. I don't wanna spin the tires (HP) as it's about 70/30% off rd/on rd. RMPs @ 1500 - 2,200. The 4bt is way up on the hi end weight wise (hafta do alota wrk on frnt end to carry it.) But I think close to 4Lt is too much (not sure on diesels, would B just right in a gasser). If I could fit the ford 300/4.9 gasser in I would (need to move the firewall or radiater). The italian mercedes too expensive. I get ur suggestion on "too small" don't wanna hafta "turn it up" (line pump) too much. It skids logs outta the swamp and up the hills here on the acreage pretty good w/the 170/2.8. & 411 gears. So guess most of my Qs R about weight to motor's tq issues w/a diesels...
Thanks!

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What "sz" motor would U suggest for a 4,ooo # 'wrk truck"? I want it on the small side rather than over powered. I don't wanna spin the tires (HP) as it's about 70/30% off rd/on rd. RMPs @ 1500 - 2,200. The 4bt is way up on the hi end weight wise (hafta do alota wrk on frnt end to carry it.) But I think close to 4Lt is too much (not sure on diesels, would B just right in a gasser). If I could fit the ford 300/4.9 gasser in I would (need to move the firewall or radiater). The italian mercedes too expensive. I get ur suggestion on "too small" don't wanna hafta "turn it up" (line pump) too much. It skids logs outta the swamp and up the hills here on the acreage pretty good w/the 170/2.8. & 411 gears. So guess most of my Qs R about weight to motor's tq issues w/a diesels...
Thanks!

the 4bt isn't any heavier than a big block ... my nieces' husband put one in a 1/2 ton dodge p/u and didn't have to do anything to the suspension ... he took a 360 out of the truck ... he gets about 27 MPG hwy and that's pushing around 70 every where he goes .. and running 35" mudders .. pretty good on fuel and no shortage of power ... he sometimes pulls a 28 ft' enclosed construction trailer with it and just loves it ... that would definitely be the way to go ... and yes ... you can get the factory adapters to go with a Chevy trannyl out of say a frito lay truck or a UPS ... but the one off a 6bt dodge should bolt right to your existing trans ... just need the right combination of parts ..