Mini-excavator engine removal

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my 350000 km original 7.3 **** the bed when over performed it last week, apparently breaking the block causing hydro-lock and bending things. All the coolant went south and I see bent pushrods on the driver side and that's when I began the arduous task of retrieveing the van motor still in the van in a crowded junk yard.

I had planned on the week long excavator rental (and thankfully can still transport it with a '94 cummins dodge {oh how nice drooling} so I'm thinking it will be purposed to these tasks in addition.

The mini ex is a 1.7 and I read it has a 1100 lbs + change lifting force at 3m extension. These boat anchors are under 900 lbs with accessories removed, correct? Does yoinking the cut frame out from under the van body and the more gentle task of removing and installing engines in the f250 seem at all reasonable or am I asking for trouble? I would consider lifting over the rad support leaving the zf in place. But I will also be troubleshooting the clutch shake when hot issue with the recently new clutch, flywheel and I wonder if there is best advice on the approach. I heard hanging the clutch on the input is a thing.

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry man, that really sucks that your engine went out on you. I’ve swapped 3 7.3s, and each time I just removed the radiator, fan, and turbo. Then unbolted the zf5 and engine mounts and pulled it forward off the input shaft and then straight up and out. All the times I’ve done it I’ve left the clutch on the engine, and when I install the 7.3s I just leave the clutch bolted to the engine. In my opinion this is easier since all you have to do is get the engine and tranny to mate up and don’t have to mess with the clutch again.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always pull the core support. It takes like 20 minutes and makes things so much easier. Plus I hate having these engines lifted high enough to clear the core support.

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, yes. Thank you both. So that's a go ahead with the mini excavator? lol
I hate having these engines lifted high enough
I can appreciate that and if mine is not welded I will do that. The van will get recip saw treatment
it’s necessary to support the tranny(using a ratchet strap of jack) during the engine removal
will do

Life is pretty interesting, always. We do it to ourselves often.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Once you do one by removing the core, you will always do it that way. Lol
The mini ex may handle it. If it has a blade, put that forward to give you a little extra stability. Get the machine as close as possible so you aren't reaching out as far.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
better lift capacity and probably cheaper
I already have the Hitatchi for other doins. but good advice...
The mini ex may handle it
... yes, may. It won't be fun finding out part way into it, will it? I it's a zx17u-5 which means zero swing I think.. but perhaps I want the swing for counter balance. Definately having that blade in front and on a beam or sill of some sort. might also remove bucket. and have guys on hand to counterweight lol
I used our tractor
Ooo, that'd be a good way to get the bend out of the cutting edge of the bucket I put in my neighbours tractor.

gandalf

Reaction score
Once you have the van engine out there are a few things you have to swap from the truck engine, as I recall. Definitely you'll have to swap the oil cooler, and I think maybe the fuel filter. I've never done it so I can't be absolutely sure. Others will be more certain.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You dont need to strap the tranny if you use a load level. Pull the front clip as someone previously mentioned and drag it out.

Like this with the leveler.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Not a complete list, but things I an sure of:

Oil Cooler Header, definitely the rear one, with the filter, maybe both, but the actual cooler bundle (tube) is the same.

Motor Mounts

Fuel Filter bracket is different, and in a different location. (Van - Driver, Truck - Passenger).

Exhaust Manifold, I think definitely the drivers side, maybe both.

The Power Steering pump. The vans run a Saginaw (much preferred pump, the trucks run the whiny C2). Don't have to change it putting it in the truck, but just noting the pump and bracket is different.

If equipped, the turbo kit. I don't think Ford ever put the Factory Turbo IDI in a van, but the aftermarket kits are Van/Truck/IH Truck specific. I know on the turbo's on the later PSD's are different between the trucks and vans. The van turbo is physically smaller....

I think everything else is the same. The basic engine is the same its the bolt on stuff that is different. You could get an IDI out of an IH Bus/Dump Truck/U-Haul and take off the IH specific bolt ons, put the truck or van specific stuff on it, and use it in that application. Just know the IH/U-Haul spec pumps have a lower governor in them. Something like 26-2800 instead of the 36-3800 Ford Spec (truck and Van) unless it is an F-Series small U-Haul, they got the slower pump too......

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Oil Cooler Header, definitely the rear one, with the filter, maybe both,
Yes both are different. The headers for a van and an IHC sit closer to the block than the ones for a truck do so they both will need to be changed. You could use the van style fuel filter and hard lines, but they are little bit more difficult to work with so I'd recommend switching to the truck ones.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you have the van engine out there are a few things you have to swap from the truck engine, as I recall. Definitely you'll have to swap the oil cooler, and I think maybe the fuel filter. I've never done it so I can't be absolutely sure. Others will be more certain.

I made a lengthy post about the differences between the van and truck IDI engines here: https://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/turbo/differences-between-the-idi-van-and-idi-truck-engines/

As for pulling a van engine out with a tractor or forklift or leveler... good luck. there ain't no way you'll get that van block out without hitting the engine bay ceiling. Go to 7:54 in the video below to see just how crappy it is to pull this block from a van

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ultimately, you'd be much better off just finding a truck IDI engine rather than trying to extract a van block from a van, and then move all your truck parts over. Plus the van blocks are typically a little more pricey, because they are much rarer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7