military tires

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looking for some info on these 16.5" rims for our trucks.

specifically the back spacing measurements, and how much they are modified to fit the OBS.

looking to get a set for the MANchero, and hoping that these rims will bring my tires in twards the frame a bit.

any help would be appreciated!
thanks folks.

You must be registered for see images attach

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The forum has a gremlin
When ya write something, it posts a word in blue, it is a spam link...
I did not see a link to the h-1 recenters you asked about...

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
because I didn't post a link lol
I couldn't come up with a viable link to these rims.

fyrfghter

Reaction score
The H1 wheels have somewhere in the neighborhood of 6.5 inches of backspacing. They can be recentered to any specs though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how much are they recentered for the ford OBS?
h-1's are usually 16.5 x 9??

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the 60's and 70's we used 12 X 16.5 tires on all of our trucks. That was THE TIRE in Nor Cal. I know they were used in So Cal also.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The H1 wheels have somewhere in the neighborhood of 6.5 inches of backspacing. They can be recentered to any specs though

There was an Extreme 4x4 driveway rescue episode where they rewelded the H1 wheels to "normal" back spacing. The truck they worked on did not drive on public streets. The way they welded them was they cut the center, bolted the cut center to the hub, and then welded the rim. They measured the run out and it wasn't bad but not something you'd want to drive on the street let alone the safety issues.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
I Happened to have a set of these military tires and wheels on my 92 F350. Takes a 2 inch spaces to make them work. The rims and tires are very heavy, and are impossible to balance. I wouldn't give you 50 cents for a set of 12.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY advice would DON'T GO THERE.... even if the tires/rims are free..

Military convoy speed limit is 55 MPH... WHY? Because military TIRES are not speed rated... they are unsafe at "normal" highway speeds because they are HEAVY to take abuse and bullets, not race down the freeway.

16.5's used to be all the rage... now, can't find them, no one wants them.

Go to a tire size you can get easily, rims that have loads of choices, and will bolt right up... You'll be happier and have time to do useful stuff, instead of **** with trying to put a saddle on a unicorn.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY advice would DON'T GO THERE.... even if the tires/rims are free..

Military convoy speed limit is 55 MPH... WHY? Because military TIRES are not speed rated... they are unsafe at "normal" highway speeds because they are HEAVY to take abuse and bullets, not race down the freeway.

16.5's used to be all the rage... now, can't find them, no one wants them.

Go to a tire size you can get easily, rims that have loads of choices, and will bolt right up... You'll be happier and have time to do useful stuff, instead of **** with trying to put a saddle on a unicorn.

The newer radials are much better. I've "tuned" an M1165 soft top to M1167 specs (and then some more fuel and timing) and it would run 75mph comfortable with a haze of black some.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I had a former soldier tell me that they are made out of soft rubber and the tread wear is horrible. Maybe it's for military spec tires only and maybe he was just full of you know what.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online