Metal shavings in coolant

IH73

Reaction score
1993 7.3 idi na

I replaced my coolant filter today and found metal shavings in the filter.

I have replaced my radiator and thermostat. Is it possible that the new radiator wasn't cleaned properly by the manufacturer? Has anyone ever had this experience?

I would only have to assume that the metal shavings would be coming from the water pump.

How long should I leave a precharged coolant filter in to ensure that the SCA has completely mixed with the coolant?

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
First I would do is see if the shaving stick to a magnet.
If they do, you should do some investigating. If from the radiator, it will be aluminum.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
How's your water pump? That's the only thing I can think of to get shavings in your cooling system besides your guess.

IH73

Reaction score
The shavings are non ferrous. I pulled off my serpentine belt and checked the water pump for radial movement, and there was none.

I have to assume it is the cheap radiator. It's a Spectra Premium CU1165. I guess that's what I get for going cheap.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least you had the coolant filter on there. I bought a filler neck for my flatbed and it had a couple HUGE metal shavings in it. I think quality control has become more of an idea than a practice for far too many manufacturers.

IH73

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Napa precharged coolant filters instantly or slowly mix the SCA.

Fixnstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shavings are non ferrous.

I don't know what your filter set up looks like but my first assumption was that they are from tapping of threads into the filter head assembly (whatever the proper name for it is). Unless they are from chasing threads with a tap after the threaded adaptor for the drain valve was tig welded into the lower tank. (whatever that adaptor fitting is called). The other fittings for automatic transmission cooling lines, if they have threads for different sized adaptors shouldn't go into the radiator tank at all but into the cooler. MAYBE that threaded part at the drain is drilled before and the threads tapped after it is welded into the tank to avoid heat/cool distortion in the threads which makes quality control sense.

In any case a few small shavings would seem to be a manufacturing and quality control issue but for a low priced radiator or a filter head how serious can a few aluminum shavings be?