Mechanical Lift Pump Delete

motorbreath53

lucky sob....
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered, but I have searched and can't find an answer.

I've bypassed my mechanical lift pump for an electric one. Is there a block off plate available for IDI motors, or do I have to make one?

Thanks.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
go to your local kragen/ napa / autozone / or parts store and go to the HELP section. Sometime they put it with the cool aftermarket upgrade sections. but you are looking for a chevy fuel block off plate. ;Sweet Its the same shape and will bolt right in.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope... any fake *** autoparts store will have a big block chevy mechanical block off plate that fits. I have read some of the various makers wont fit perfectly but test fit them to see. Or just use the old gasket and fabricate you own plate. About the only area that may cause a fit problem is the top of the block lip. Some of the plates are a little too tall and rest on top of this machined lip. then you have an oil leak.... a big oil leak too...

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a Chevy 454 block off plate from Summit. Cheap (< $10), comes with gasket, no modifications, no issues driving the entire length of I-90 Boston-Seattle.;Sweet

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
just avoid the block off plates that have a bowtie on them, you can loose up to 25 hp and develope some weird mechanical problems:D

motorbreath53

lucky sob....
Reaction score
I knew I could count on you guys. My truck thanks you.

...and I assure you. No bowties on this truck.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are 2 basic "automotive" fuel pump mounting styles, the one Like our truck, and 90% uses and then the one that ford used on the 351/400M engine it is tall and narrow ,bolt on top and bottom.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
just avoid the block off plates that have a bowtie on them, you can loose up to 25 hp and develope some weird mechanical problems:D

Mine is chrome with a big red bow tie...I gained 175 hp, have the dyno slip to prove it! :rolleyes:

of course it wasn't running until I added the electric pump that necessitated the block off plate, but that's symantics! lol