Maybe a 911?

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dog house? This is a van. Clip your test light to the wire you want to test. Run it through the dog house and ground it to the engine. Test light doesn't care which way it goes.

My truck has both a solenoid on the starter and a solenoid (relay) on the left fender for the starter. I don't know what yours has but I suspect you have both also.

You jumped the terminals at the starter so you know you have battery power there.

Look for a round solenoid in the engine compartment with the battery positive connected to it.

But first, please slowly drag the shifter down through all the gears with the key turned to start. See if it isn't the neutral safety switch adjustment.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dog house? This is a van. Clip your test light to the wire you want to test. Run it through the dog house and ground it to the engine. Test light doesn't care which way it goes.

My truck has both a solenoid on the starter and a solenoid (relay) on the left fender for the starter. I don't know what yours has but I suspect you have both also.

You jumped the terminals at the starter so you know you have battery power there.

Look for a round solenoid in the engine compartment with the battery positive connected to it.

But first, please slowly drag the shifter down through all the gears with the key turned to start. See if it isn't the neutral safety switch adjustment.

I'm voting for the switch adjustment.

Reactions: dgr

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the grounding.

Probably easiest done by looking between starter frame and battery negative with a volt meter. If you see any, you probably have a corroded connection.

Make sure that 12 volts makes it to the starter, and gets back to ground on the other side.

Brand new starter...if it gets power and can turn,,,that energy is going somewhere. And I take it you have already ruled out frozen engine or similar that would immobilizer the rotor.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Ok, played around w/ that for a while and at the moment it engages the starter. :-D
So now I need to bleed the air out of the fuel system. Being alone I figured I'd pull the core out of the Schrader and turn it over that way till I get some fuel. Any reason not to?

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5/8 inch wrench. Loosen the lines to the injectors. Floor it and crank 30 seconds at the time. Don't burn up your new starter. That's what I do. Fills the pump and the lines.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glow plugs good and powered?

I'm in for hard starts if my glow plug circuit isn't working right.

Very happy to rule out frozen engine!

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Cracked all the hard lines at the injectors and had fuel almost right away. Tightened them back up, reinstalled the air cleaner, and spent loads of time trying to find something that I could get to the opening on it in case of a run-away.
Turned it over maybe 5 sec and it field up, a little rough and then died after about 30 sec. Which I expected due to having just installed all new return lines.
Turned for less then 30 sec and fired up again. :-D

It idles, a bit rough, but idles, has good response to the pedal and started up easily after I shut it down for a few.
Now I just need to get it out on the road for a bit and clear the engine out. That will still be a day or so.
I'm also expecting to have a variety of issues pop up after its long sleep.

I should probably get the title of this thread changed. ;-]

Thank you so much everyone! !
You'll be hearing more from me now that it's back in my life.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Just be aware that air can get trapped inside your fuel system for a while. I don't know how long you had it running, but sometimes, you can get a miss after 10 or 15 minutes of running. It will make a knocking noise, but I haven't seen one die from this. It only lasts for a few seconds. I'm not trying to scare you, but just making you aware.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RunAway...

I get idea a Halon or co2 based fire extinguisher oughta work well for this... especially if the air intake is hard to get to and seal off properly.

I know welders have tanks of nonflammable gases around for shield gas. Have to dispense them pretty fast.

Some theatrical people use some sort of gun that hooks up to 20 pound CO2 jugs and dispenses like a fire extinguisher.

Maybe I'm off in lala land, but I have been considering getting one of those theatrical guns just for this purpose...as I already stock 20 pound CO2 jugs for making beverages. Costs less than $20 to fill them around here. I'd blow one into my IDI in heartbeat if it ran away on me.

Dry chemical or water extinguishers definitely a no-no.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Just be aware that air can get trapped inside your fuel system for a while. I don't know how long you had it running, but sometimes, you can get a miss after 10 or 15 minutes of running. It will make a knocking noise, but I haven't seen one die from this. It only lasts for a few seconds. I'm not trying to scare you, but just making you aware.
Thanks, I figured it wasn't all out, and don't expect it to be running great yet, I'm just happy it started up easy after these last few years and a colony of packrats having taken up residence. :-]

Now that it's back to being mine, and I'm the wrench this time, I'll fix a lot of the little things that aren't up to par. After all its no longer a rental and my lady is moving into it. ;-]

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Something I've been wondering about since we got this rig, are there different power steering pumps for vans and trucks, or are they always buried and hard to get to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online