Maybe a 911?

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
I'm not sure this should be in the 911 subforum, so I'm starting here.
To start w/ this is my live-in rig. I have it out on dispersed camping. I towed it here after it being stored for a few years and getting taken over by packrats.
My daily driver (a deuce and a half) just decided to blow it's coolant out through the headgasket and leave me vehicleless.
Being as how I was working on getting the camper rolling again I decided to do that first, because it would be easier, . . . right?
So now where I'm at w/ that.
I've just replaced all the return lines, as I was getting air intrusion before I stored it, and I have new batteries.
Now when I turn the key I get the loud click (doghouse is off) and a buzzing (glowplugs?) But nothing when I try to start it. We'll it does knock the power down to instrument cluster.
I've checked at the wires to the starter are good and the starter is a barely used napa version.

So, . . . where do I start w/ the troubleshooting? Please remember that this is out in the field w/ limited tools and not in a driveway of a house w/ stores nearby.
Thanks for any help I can get.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your voltage at the batteries, then try jumping the starter solenoid. Your ignition switch may just be dead or needing adjustment

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your engine isn't frozen, I hope.

Your statement about knocking power down at the cluster leaves me to think something's drawing considerable power.

Like something locked up...

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Try banging on the starter with a big wrench then try starting. Do this a few times. Sometimes you can get the starter to work at least once more that way.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your engine isn't frozen, I hope.

Your statement about knocking power down at the cluster leaves me to think something's drawing considerable power.

Like something locked up...
Don’t jinx it, but I thought that too. Hopefully starter gets him on the road.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Not sure why the engine would be froze up, it was the famous "ran when parked". :-]

I pulled the starter (had forgotten that you need a long extention on the driver to remove that top bolt. :-| ) and did the "on the ground w/ jumpers test. I did finally get it to spin but it sounded really dry and did not slide in and out even after jacking w/ it some. So I'm off to town for a new starter.
Hopefully this is just part of the short list to get it running again. :-]

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed it here after it being stored for a few years and getting taken over by packrats.
I was going on this.

Sometimes water gets in, followed by rust, and locks things up.

Hope it's the starter. I've had mine go too, even one that eventually failed shorted and made it appear my engine was locked up... But it was apparent the engine was ok, I could turn it with a wrench.

I think your last post cleared it up a lot.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
I had forgotten that the last starter was a napa w/ lifetime warranty. So, new starter for free! :-] I'll get a ride back out to my camp tomorrow and see how it goes from there.

While I'm doing all this stuff to get it running again I've been working on some upgrades as well. I bought a e-pump and plan to run it in conjunction w/ the mechanical. T'd in after the mech and check valved to not push into it.
Another thing I'd like would be to get the fuel filter out of the already cramped engine bay of the van. Has anyone found a good place to move it to, other than way back on the frame underneath? I don't see how keeping the mech pump would easily let me do this.

Last edited:

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Made it back to camp today w/ the new starter finally.
Install went ok.
So now when I attempt to start w/ the key, I still get the same response. But I crawled back underneath and w/ a quick jump will cause it to engage. So no problem w/ the starter now.

What would I be looking for between the ignition and starter? Is it going to be rat chewed wires, or some adjustment?

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger fender, you have a starter solenoid there?

Test for voltage on the wire to the S terminal when the key is turned to start. Jump from the S terminal to the battery side with a wire.

If no power in start, it could be ignition switch or neutral safety switch. If power in start, it's likely the solenoid.

Try slowly pulling the shifter from park down past neutral with the key turned to start.

Try getting under the dash and pushing further down on the rod that connects from the ignition key cylinder to the ignition switch. The ignition switch is bolted to the top of the steering column.