Many more questions i need answered

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright guys i have officially purchased my third idi truck as of today.
Heres what i have in my collection
1985 lariat f250 4x4 auto gear vendors ats turbo, crate transmission and engine.
1987 xl f250 4x4 ats turbo winch and bumper us gear splitter(this thing looks brand new almost everywhere, especially on the inside. It is amazing how nice the interior is.
1993 f350 xl crew cab 4x4 7.3 banks zf5 speed. This was a company fleet truck, and get this it runs and drives amazing with 312,000 and no signs what so ever of cativation.

So my question is will the us gear under/overdrive fit right in with the zf5speed? It says the part numbers and adapter numbers are the same for the 4 speed and the 5 speed.

MY next questions is if steal the us gear of the 87 wont my tranny and transfer bolt right back in their original married position? They only thing i should have to contend with is the needed longer driveshaft and moving the supports for the tranny/transfer forward back to their original positions?

So my plans are changing and are solid. I want to take one of the diesel engines i have and put in my 76 highboy with the zf 5 speed and us gear unit. Should i use the 7.3 that has been fleet maintained or the 6.9? If the 7.3 has lasted this long without block worm problems it has either been taken well care of with the proper dca's or is a crate motor. Could this thing be still runnning other wise? It doesnt smoke at all its a strong motor.

Should i steal the entire running gear out of the 93 and put in my 76? I will then have all matching units with the same ratios, with the high pinion 60 etc.

What do you all think?

What am i looking at to convert my np 435 and 205 to the zf5 speed etc? Remember that i have the entire trucks and they all work perfectly. My 76 is really nice so i dont want to hack it up either.

What should i do? What combos should i go with and why? Anyone, i know there is some on here that have done this please help me.

Is there anyone that is going to be willing to help out on this project or lend some knowledge/experience in the swap? I live in everett wa, and i have 5 trucks sitting in front of my house i need to do something with.

parker

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online