manual or auto

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
So me and my dad argue all of the time about trannys. He has a 93 idi, bone stock, automatic and my truck is a 91 5 speed (mods in my sig). He has tried to tell me all along that manuals were just more trouble than they are worth. He swears up and down that automatics will pull with standards no matter what and i tell him that he is wrong so just for the sake of argument who is right.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well, that is a hard question to answer. I'll give it a shot though ;Sweet.

I would say in stock applications, talking about IDI's, the manuals are better. They will get better fuel economy, and they will last longer. The trucks may be a little slower accelerating, but you can keep the truck in its power range when shifting. A built tranny (E4OD) will last a long time, and it will tow things quete well, maybe better than a manual. But the manual will get better fuel economy.

If auto's were so good, I would think you would see them in big rigs, but standards are king there, so that shows you what is really king. Heavy loads on a manual just means you have to slip the clutch a little extra, and will have to shift at a higher rpm. Heavy loads with an auto will result in crappy fuel economy, high tranny temps, and a possibly failed tranny.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
manual rocks:D

i can see a auto helping out with slowely getting going since you dont have to slip a clutch or have wimpy legsLOL

i much prefer to have a more efficient drive line with a solid connection to the rear wheels that i can control.

this is a OLD argument though

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each have there place. There is no way to reason one being better than the other, as it depends on the kind of driving, terrain, loads, etc. I think one way to look at it, is that manual transmissions have been around as long as the automobile. Like railroads, it's based on a technology that just WORKS. Automatics came about for the same reason automatic washing machines did. To take the drudgery out of a task. In this case, driving. Anytime you use technology to take something that can be done by hand, and automate it, your bound to introduce detrimental characteristics. I think in the case of the auto, we all know what those are. Having both, I'll take a stick over an auto anyday. But then, I don't find driving to be drudgery.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my choices are....
manual for pulling a load. Also, when it starts to go bad, the trans will give you plenty of warning ahead of time.
auto when I want to multitask while driving. It's easier to watch my surroundings, drink coffee, check the VDT(or laptop) for updates, talk on the 2-way, as I am doing double the speed limit.
I've lived with the E4DOA for years. I don't trust them in my IDI's. I'd rather take the small MPG penalty with a C-6 with either a USG or GV bolted to its ass. Bottom line is I'll drive/use any piece of equipment, but if it lets me down consistently, I don't like it. Early E4DOA's have earned my distrust.

sootman73

Reaction score
it seems that i have the best of both worlds. having the TC lockup pretty much turns my truck into a manual with the direct drive clutch lockup but i can then put it back to auto to make it easier to do other things like towcat was sayin. i did like having the feel of the manual shift on my gmc but it was just too slow accelerating cuz it took too long to shift(when compared to my auto shifts)

i do worry about the longevity of my auto though especially while towing or hard 4wd acceleration. but i am looking to build up my tranny this summer so i wont have to worry about it.

heres my conclusion manuals for the guys that dont have the money lying around (i.e. college kids) to just throw into an automatic that happened to burn up down the road.

automatics that have been built up right are even with the manuals are can be even better and at this point it comes down to the owners preference.

2manydsls

Reaction score
I like a stick when 4 wheeling and it's a tossup when towing. But I definately like an automatic when stuck in stop and go freeway traffic.
Ross

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it comes to towing, I do think you'd have to agree that cooling is the achilies heel of the automatic. Nobody ever overheated because their manual trans got too hot and puked out it's fluid, or burned it up. True, you can cool an automatic suffiently to prevent this, but where does the heat go? Right back into the engine where you don't want it.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I once tried to count how many times I shifted in 500 miles driving a semi lost count cookoo -Used to have a callous on my hand from shifting them (the older lower HP trucks of the 70's).Itw as to fight the boredom.
I loved the automatic (a lazy mans trans)less likley to snap an axel or sumthing then with a manual when starting a real heavy load in motion (like in a gravel pit-with a dump trailer)Never happened to me but I saw it a number of times.
Now my ole E40d is old as the stars (or me) either one is old. It works fine still -- BUT-- I don't trust it.WHy? because when it goes there may not be much warning.It hurts $$$ wise to have a major breakdown a long way from home.
If it was a standard and old I still would trust it because as calvin said I would have a lot of warning.
If I was near home plowing snow I'd take an automatic over a standard any time (much more production than a manual in that enviorment)
Guess Ill agree with every one else - each to its time & place.
If slipping the clutch is an issue then either the gearing is wrong or the load is wrong.In proper service clutches last longer that automatic transmissions.
This is my opinion every one else can disagree-its ok-I don't mind.
Mr Bill

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
As everyone has mentioned it really is all a matter of preference and application of use. No right or wrong answer really....

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
which do i think is better? manual

which do i prefer to drive daily? automatic

i agree with all the statements above about to durability of the manual etc but when it comes down to it i'll take the C6 and deal with the milage. at least the rebuilds are cheaper than the OD autos.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I know its an age old argument but my point to him was that an auto would not stand up to the beating that a manual will. don't get me wrong i have nothing against autos they are good to drive daily or leisurly but i like to have the secure driveline connection thought in my head. Just had to get it started guys at least no one is bashing though.

cgraham

Reaction score
My auto is a ****! My 5 speed =:peelout. Plus I don't have to spend $4000 to get a 5 speed built so that it will actually work the way it should and still be reliable.

justblowin'smoke

Reaction score
i agree with everyone else it has a time and place i will say though if one were to hook chains between two trucks and pull an auto is a lot better than a stick because it will slip enough to keep the axle from hopping

i personally won't own a diesel truck that isn't a stick my last truck which was a 94 f350 idi turbo was a stick and when i was looking for the truck i have now i only looked for one with a stick

also a stick can be made to hold 550hp with only 1100 vs the 4000-5000 it takes to get an auto to do the same