Making your own helper spring for front springs, need some input

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done a lot of searching/reading on front leaf springs and how to raise front of our pickups.
I have the standard 2 leaf spring on the front of my F250 and have the standard sag from years of holding up the IDI.
I know a air bag system would really work wonders, but not ready to spend that kinda of money yet.
Could a person make your own helper springs by using the bottom leaf from another 2 leaf spring from F250???
Basically cut the spring short of where it wraps around the bushing on both ends. Use some longer u-bolts to hold the "new" 3 leaf spring in place.
I'm sure not the first person to think of this idea, but just trying to think of some lower cost ideas.
I know there are lots of people here that have many more years of working with these suspensions. Lets hear some of the ideas on this.
Thanks.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes and no. It will raise it and make ride harsher. One thing you missed is needing a new center bolt to hold the three leaves together. I built my own pack for the front of mine by using leaves from my original rear leaves.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back when I had the TTB front, I did exactly what you're thinking; used the bottom spring off a spare set of leaves, cut about 6" off each end, and threw it under the other 2. Made a longer center pin, stock U-bolts were just barely long enough. Raised it about 2" IIRC. Did this at the same time as ball joints, so I used the Moog adjustable upper ball joint eccentrics to get the camber back in check.
Rode like crap before the extra spring, and even worse after...but it got the job done for the time being.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how it would work on an F250 with IFS, however I bought a 2.7" front leveling kit designed for 99 & up F250. It worked perfectly on my 89 F350.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how it would work on an F250 with IFS, however I bought a 2.7" front leveling kit designed for 99 & up F250. It worked perfectly on my 89 F350.

Did you need to change ball joints or anything else major?
Or could you just add it to the suspension without any other mod..???

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The kit included new U-bolts and center bolt. Nothing additional was required.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet I'll have to look into that, what kind of cost??
Brand name??
I'll have to study the differences from 89 to 93 on front suspension, wouldn't think itll be much

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been several years (3 or 4) since I bought mine and I forget the name brand. There's a very similar one listed on AMAZON from Supreme Suspension for $108.68.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing to remember.....

The F-350 will have a D-60 Solid Front Axle

The F-250 will have a D-50 Twin Traction Beam independent front suspension.

This is why lifting an F-250 is more difficult since you have to lower the center pivot point along with the added height in the springs. A d-60, the whole axle is moved away, not just the ends......

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you did a lot of research, you should have come across warnings that you can't change the ride height of the ttb frontend without messing up the alignment.

If your tires are wearing good, then you are going to mess that up and it will need re-aligned. If you raise it over 1.5 inches, you risk them not having enough adjustment and they can't get it in alignment.

If your tires are wearing on the inside edge on both sides, then your claim of tired springs could be valid, and a little lift could help that. If they have good wear or wear on the outside edge, lifting it will make the outside wear worse. These frontends are touchy when it comes to ride height, that's why some people do not like them and why you have to buy expensive kits if you want to lift them up.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
on my 95 ttb I used a main leaf out of a sd, cut it as long as I could, so it fit to the eyes worked really good.
on my 96 d-60 I got a add a leaf that was shorter and didnt get the whole way to the end of the eyes, it sucked, didnt like it.
on my 99 SD d-60, use a sd rear main leaf
on my 92 ttb I used a set of stock 250 springs then added basically a super duty leveling kit, 5 extra leaves, BUT I had to put drop brackets on it without them there was even too much angle to put the ubolts on. this was one of the best riding / handeling TTbs Ive ever had

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the info, very much appreciated.
Franklin, I gathered that too much modification to a front end will mess things up greatly. Thats why I hoping some would tell stories of how far a person can go.
Catbird & Double-S thanks for those past experiences that gives me a good direction to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online