Main Seal Oil Additives

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Keyway = front of crank

That's what I thought. Didn't think the rear of the crank on our idi's would be any different from any other engine I've worked on. That's a relief as I wouldn't be able to see any evidence of a shop following the direction of "use some silicone on the keyway. I'll be doing the front myself, hopefully next year. I'm only going to have the shop do the rear while the transmission/clutch/flywheel are out.

So what about the rear seals? Since I haven't had an opportunity to dissect one of these engines, I'm not sure what I'm looking at. All the rear main seal kits that I find have the rear cover gasket and a rear seal that looks like it fits around the crank with no metal on it, just a squared off o-ring like I've seen on gas engines. But when I search the numbers listed above, I find steel backed seals, like one that would go on a spindle that gets pressed into a hub. So do I need one seal that goes around the crank flange inside the cover (that presses between the block/oil pan) and one that presses into the rear cover along with the gasket between the rear cover and block?

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my Ford/Navistar seal being installed with the speedi sleeve.

Some of the pictures are rotataed just to show it going on. The 4 plastic dowels are used to line up the installation tool. BUT, I had almost no luck with the installation tool. The plastic just reverberated back harder than it was to actually get the sleeve and seal started. I used Al/riotwarrior's "Elephant snot" or Permatex aviation form a gasket on the speedi sleeve. 800 miles so far and it's still dry.

Attachments

• IMG_2662.JPG
    IMG_2662.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2661.JPG
    IMG_2661.JPG
    375.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2660.JPG
    IMG_2660.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2659.JPG
    IMG_2659.JPG
    377.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2658.JPG
    IMG_2658.JPG
    368.9 KB · Views: 9

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Ok, so it IS just the steel backed seal that goes between the crank flange and the plate bolted to the back of the engine.

So, next question is, should I bother getting the flat gasket that goes between that plate and the block?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Now I can make sure I'm getting the right parts! Thanks guys ;Really

Using Autozone part numbers again...

3893V - rear main seal, $67.99

16256 - repair sleeve, $15.99

BS40011 - supposed rear main kit, but has cover gasket. Seals can't be right if the seal by itself is almost 70 bucks, $19.99

And I think I'm going to pickup a new clutch fork (CF-117, $29.99) for the shop to use in the case that mine needs replaced. If not then I'll either take it back or just hold on to it.

Anything else I need?

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Just buy the OEM one from oldbull8 in the marketplace or use the previously mentioned Ford part number online or at your dealer. The whole kit is $72 from my local dealer.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I'll look in the marketplace to see if his is the whole kit. I wouldn't touch my local parts stealing Ford dealership with a 10 foot pole.

Edit: oldbull's seal has already been sold. I'll look on rockauto or probably order elsewhere to save the extra $20.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Just ordered enduring for the rear main seal from autozone. I price matched the seal from rock auto as it was the same Timken part and number. I've got the SMF and clutch kit so hopefully I can get it all to the shop in the next few weeks.

But now my fiance's '02 ranger needs new front beagles and the rotors turned (if they can be)...facepalm*

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online