Magnetic tach sensor?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Most of the early blocks did not have a position for a tach sensor in the gear cover sooo.. You will need to buy and install a gear cover with this tach sensor hole. Removing the gear cover cover is not easy for a first timer either. The injection pump MUST be removed from the cover first. Then the cover comes off being very careful not to disturb the injection pump gear.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one as well in the parts bin... I doubt it will pick up the groove on the balancer. Hall effect sensors vary... some like to see a south pole pass by, some a north pole. Others aren't picky, and even more types just pick up inductance.

Our tach sensor (as many have said) has an internal magnet and is an inductive sensor. Changes in the magnetic field induce voltages.

Bottom line, you'd need to attach a magnet anywhere on the balancer for this type of sensor to work. I looked into these for my timing meter idea

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have seen a similar one work except that the gauge wasn't digital. It was a dial with a regular sweep needle. It was on a Chevy van with a 6.2 in it. He had a magnet glued onto the balancer and mounted the pickup bracket to one of the front engine cover/ oil pan bolts. I realize that the 6.2 is built quite differently than ours are, but it did seem to work well.