Luk SMF, will it work with any clutch???

94IDIT

Reaction score
I'm currently working on swapping out my 4-speed for a ZF. I have a brand new 7.3 Clutch Kit I picked up at Napa ready for the install, but the truck I took the ZF from had a Luk SMF, so I took it off for installing it on my 6.9, My question is, will the Luk SMF from the back of my 7.3 bolt up to the back of my 6.9? And if so, will the Napa clutch kit interface with the new flywheel? or will I have to buy a different flywheel, or clutch kit??? Any help is appreciated!!

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The flywheel will bolt bolt up, however the clutch will not. The Luk SM setup takes a specific clutch as it's bigger than the stock setup. (12" vs 11" IIRC?) You can find the clutch kit reasonably cheaply on ebay though... Luk 07-131 is the part number for the clutch kit.

sassyrel

Reaction score
The flywheel will bolt bolt up, however the clutch will not. The Luk SM setup takes a specific clutch as it's bigger than the stock setup. (12" vs 11" IIRC?) You can find the clutch kit reasonably cheaply on ebay though... Luk 07-131 is the part number for the clutch kit.
13 versus 12...

sassyrel

Reaction score
I'm currently working on swapping out my 4-speed for a ZF. I have a brand new 7.3 Clutch Kit I picked up at Napa ready for the install, but the truck I took the ZF from had a Luk SMF, so I took it off for installing it on my 6.9, My question is, will the Luk SMF from the back of my 7.3 bolt up to the back of my 6.9? And if so, will the Napa clutch kit interface with the new flywheel? or will I have to buy a different flywheel, or clutch kit??? Any help is appreciated!!

it has to be luk to luk. you cant put a valeo clutch,,on a luk flywheel,,as he stacked height is different. which means,no release,,or no engage...

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bolted a luk pp and disc to a beck arnley flywheel and am running it. Let me see if I can remember how it went... I was trying to save some money and bought a beck arnley solid flywheel from rock auto thinking I could use my old clutch from the dual mass, then found out about the 11"/ 12" thing, so I went to autozone and got a complete SMf kit. Their flywheel looked like crap and the throw out bearing just fell in the hole so I used the ba flywheel with the az disc and pp. it worked fine for a while then started chattering. I then bought a Luk kit minus flywheel and installed it with the ba flywheel as the flywheel looked decent and the pp had real bad hot spots. It was good for a while but is starting to chatter again.

94IDIT

Reaction score
Alrighty, well time to order a new Luk clutch kit then... oh well, at least the 7.3 flywheel will bolt up to the 6.9 anyways, thanks for the help!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it has to be luk to luk. you cant put a valeo clutch,,on a luk flywheel,,as he stacked height is different. which means,no release,,or no engage...

Its a flat flywheel so it doesnt matter as long as the holes line up. BTDT.

94IDIT

Reaction score
Well, I took a look at the Napa clutch kit, and it is stamped with Luk, so I guess I'll just try what I've got and see...

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Luk is either OEM or a common aftermarket clutch for the stock setup since the couple of stock DM clutches I've see also had 'Luk' stamped on them.

I'd measure the clutch disc and see what size it is.... also check and see if it's got spings on the center of disc - a clutch with a SM flywheel **must** have a sprung hub for vibration dampening. At least some stock DM clutch discs were solid as the DM flywheel springs give you the torsional vibration dampening. The SM setups use a sprung clutch hub instead, but somehow there much be that dampening otherwise bad things happen.

I'm about 95% certain that the kit you have woln't work on the DM flywheel, and if it was me, I'd just get the right kit rather than get stuck in the middle of the swap waiting for parts. Just my $0.02 though.

94IDIT

Reaction score
It is a 12'' but it DOES NOT, have springs on the center of the disk... Hmmm, ok new clutch time I guess, I'll just order a new clutch from Luk and keep my flywheel since I already have the Smf from them, thanks for the help.

94IDIT

Reaction score
So the wife would rather I not spend money since I already have a new clutch kit, I'm just curious could I use the same 7.3 clutch kit "napa special" with the 6.9 flywheel in a zf5 swap??? Gonna try and see if I can find any info here on the forum that'll help.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is no - the shaft will fit but the pilot shaft is shorter on the ZF IIRC, so it doesn't properly engage the T-19 pilot bearing and causes problems.

I encourage you to look on ebay and similar for the LUK kit - it can be found cheaper than the LUK site.