low sulfur fuels are bad??

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My big problem with this whole deal is they lowered the energy level in the fuel so you need more of it. What good does it do the environment to reduce one element of emissions, while at the same time jacking up the amount of it that is going to be produced. :dunno This *** for tat crap is pointless. -cuss

Along the same line of thinking, the old tried and true mechanical engines were getting in the 18-22 MPG range; whereas, the newer computer-controlled diesels struggle to top 12 MPG.

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
My friend gets 26 mpg in his 85 Chevy 1/2 ton with a 6.2 and 4 speed auto. Has a 4 inch lift and 33x12.5 tires. Mine gets 20 on 285/75/16's. My moms 02 dually struggles to get 18 on stock tires.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mechanical diesels are great on Fuel mileage, a lot of this emissions control crap I think makes the motor less efficient...for now. Someone else said it will be like the 80s when we had sucky gas motors that got poor mileage, not really enough power and expensive to get rid of lead and meet new EPA requirements. The old stuff and the future stuff will be great, current stuff....not so much. I tend to agree. Anybody know what kind of mileage the 6.4s and 6.7 Cummins are getting?

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yea......... But I'm a war hero too
You must be registered for see images attach
;p LOL

Thanks for your service;Sweet

No one likes a braggart :rotflmao :rotflmao Leg.:eek: LOL LOL

J/K the fuel world is a small one. I have worked w/ several instructors from Ft Lee who are now retired. I am out now but working as a contractor.

Fellas sorry for the Hijack:sorry: and :thanks:

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TONKAdOCTOR,
Thanks for the facts. I knw theres always an expert/engineer in every forum, they just need to speak up.

Can I assume new trucks have different design in there IP's so they don't have this issue????

Agnem, you hit it on the head... they improve one area and loose in the other.. sometimes I wonder why we try to regulate and improve things when it ends up costing us

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My big problem with this whole deal is they lowered the energy level in the fuel so you need more of it. What good does it do the environment to reduce one element of emissions, while at the same time jacking up the amount of it that is going to be produced. :dunno This *** for tat crap is pointless. -cuss

Well if you drive less now than a person did before because of having to bend over at the pump due to being ripped off by the oil companies, then you are saving emissions.

tkremer

Reaction score
So what is the best additive? And how much of it per gallon of fuel?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Can't get biodiesel where I am at and if I could I wouldn't buy it unless it was cheaper than dino. Right now diesel is going for 3.279

When you figure in that biodiesel already has a good pump lubricant in it, as opposed to buying diesel, then also buying jugs of additive on top of that, the price probably runs pretty close either way :dunno

--------Robert

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
So what is the best additive? And how much of it per gallon of fuel?

For off the shelf products, you can't beat Howes. The stuff works great and has been around forever. Big plus in winter time, you will not gel up on that stuff
( if you buy a case first time and send in a registration card, they'll even gauarantee that you won't gel up and if you do, they'll pay the tow, although in 12 years on the road in a big truck up north, I've never heard of anyone actually gelling up with that stuff when used regularly, and I've used it at -80 deg f...brrrrr ;Sweet I've gelled up on every other additive on the market at least once.

The stuff can be hard to find in hot climates though.

----Robert

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I second the howes. I gelled up in northeren MN a few years ago(power service) the ole girl would just barely idle,even thought the trottle was held to the floor.I was looking thru my junk behind the seat hoping to find some either ( I have thawed out many air brake lines years ago with an ether torch cookoo , but it has saved me many times in the middle of the night).I don't reccomend it unless U have practiced it many times.Found some Howes instead.Put some Howes in the tank,it stumbled for around 1/2 hr( very tense 1/2 hr LOL)then came back to life.Of all the addatives Hows is my favorite,its never let me down and all the engines I'v have had seem to run smoother on it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle