Low RPM electric motor?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I am using a power steering pump to move my WMO and have been having problems lately. I have a 1/4hp motor, running at 1750RPM's and it is too fast for my pump. I've heard that power steering pumps cut themselves out at higher RPM's and this seems to be what is happening with mine.

When it first stopped pumping, I thought that the pump had given out. I got another one and it only pumped when it was first starting up. I loosened the belt a bit, to allow slipping and it pumps fantastically!

I need an electric motor, that only runs at about 500, or so RPM's...

Does such a beast actually exist?

Gary

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you mount the motor so you can use a belt and pully to slow your pump down to the proper rpms?
Jim

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
in stead of a powersteering pump use a engine oil pump thats what im using a the curent set up that i have and i use a 1/2 hp ac motor and it pumps it pretty quick but i wish i had a high volume pump

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Can you put a smaller pulley on your motor, or a larger one on the pump?

or

Build an offset idler setup, with a large/small pulley. Run the motor to the large pulley, then the small one back to the pump.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Common electric motors usually have standard rpm ranges (1850 rpm comes to mind as pretty standard I believe), which means you'll have to use some type of transmission to lower the effective speed should you choose to go that way.

If I am a betting man (and I am), I would think somebody with more electric motor experience will chime in here.

Good luck no matter how you choose to power your pump.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Take the presure regulator out.

How difficult is that?

I was hoping to just drive it slower... When it did run full-speed, the pressure would spike on my filter rig. The way it's running right now (Belt slippage and all) it never goes above 10psi. The flow, however, seems to be a constant.

I haven't found any pulleys that are both big and will bolt-up to the pump.

Perhaps some serious modifications are in order...

Gary

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about modifying an old starter motor? Since it is a DC motor you should be able to vary the speed by changing the voltage. Also a starter motor doesn't turn that fast to begin with.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
How about modifying an old starter motor? Since it is a DC motor you should be able to vary the speed by changing the voltage. Also a starter motor doesn't turn that fast to begin with.

i would be leary of using a starter motor, they are not rated for continous use at all.

if you cant vary the pulley sizes enough maybe you could add a jack shaft in between.

the motors stroker listed would probubly be the easiest and cheepest overall though unless you had the stuff lying around.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
CHECK HERE, these guys should have something that will fill the bill.

I checked out their site.. Wow! I could spend a lot of money there!!

I also ordered their catalog... Definite reading material!

One other question... What would happen, if I put a chopper switch on the motor? Would it slow it down, or burn something up?

Gary

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked out their site.. Wow! I could spend a lot of money there!!

I also ordered their catalog... Definite reading material!

One other question... What would happen, if I put a chopper switch on the motor? Would it slow it down, or burn something up?

Gary
Yeah, I keep a copy by the throne and one in the toolbox in the garage. Fun mag to read and dream up crazy **** to build.

Far as the chopper switch goes, I'm not positive but I think you would end up overheating the motor and burning it as you are still applying 60 hz to the winding in short intermittent bursts (if I understand the chopper switch correctly). If you wanted to get all fancy you could buy a VFD to control the speed but now you are spending some bux.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin