Low mile truck started burning oil, LOTS!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I dont know what happened, this thing sat for 15 years without so much as even turning over. Maybe that has something to do with it. It didnt burn so much as a drop of oil when I bought it, then the other day it started. Smoke just rolls out the exhaust pipe.
It only does it after its good and warm, like a 20 minute drive or more.
What do you guys think is going on with it?
Maybe $1000 for an 85,000 mile diesel wasnt such a good deal after it sat for so long.
I had decided a long time ago to run that AutoRX stuff in it, but if its going to just burn it all up I dont know if its worth it now.
HELP

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Man that really sucks. Do you suppose that its stuck rings? I would just by some real cheap motor oil, and run it hard for a while, and see what happens. Maybe it will unstick the rings.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea Justin, its just my luck.

Any other ideas as well guys? I think the key to pinning the problem down is that it only starts doing it after its good and hot.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CDR Valve mabey sticking once warmed up. Mabey oil return holes got plugged in the heads with a piece of sludge that was there for 15 years and once the area under the valvecovers is full the oil has to go somewhere and is pushing past the valve seals:dunno .

Do a compression and leakdown test to determine the condition of the engine before condeming it. I think if it was stuck rings it would smoke more when cold because when warm everything expands and the clearances in the engine tighten up.

Is it actually burning the oil? how much?what color is the smoke?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
How much is it burning? Take a fog machine, then you get the idea. lol
Its hard telling, but I like your ideas so far. Its not likely its stuck rings, because the guy I bought it from used it for a year to haul 20-25 thousand pound trailers of hay. I'd certainly think that would have been enough of a workout for it to suck the rings back out after a 15 year sleep.
Im guessing more of the valve seals or something too.

mahcire

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
could it be that sitting for so long let the oil ring shrink a little, similar to dry rotting? seals alright when cold but once the block is warm and expands a little it causes excessive leakby? just an idea.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If it wasn't using any then started inhaling, it's most likely either sticky rings or valve stem seals. How many miles is it taking to suck a quart of oil down ?

--------Robert

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing I would do is pull the valve covers and check that the oil drain holes are open. If the oil is pooling over the heads no seal in the world is going to keep it out of the cylinders.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could it be that sitting for so long let the oil ring shrink a little, similar to dry rotting? seals alright when cold but once the block is warm and expands a little it causes excessive leakby? just an idea.

:confused: It doesn't work that way.
  1. Oil control rings are metal they wonk shrink like a gasket.
  2. If oil control rings are stuck it will smoke even when cold.
  3. As the cast iron block warms up and expands the bore will shrink.
  4. Aluminum pistons will expand more than the block as they warm.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing I would do is pull the valve covers and check that the oil drain holes are open. If the oil is pooling over the heads no seal in the world is going to keep it out of the cylinders.

I've definitely seen that on gas burners. Went from a quart every 40 miles to every 700 by cleaning the oil drains in a 360.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online