lots of smoke under heavy acceleration

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of smoke under heavy acceleration on my truck, the IP hasn't been timed. I know it needs it, but there just isn't anyone in my area that can do it. Is there a way to time it without the timing device? im not sure where i would need to move it to help with the smoke.

other than the smoke, the truck runs great. I know its not uncommon for diesels to smoke a bit, but i think this is just a bit too much

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure your air filter is ok. Unplug the temp sensor that controls the cold start advance unit behind the alternator. This also feeds the fast idle solenoid. With the truck running and warmed up, make a small jumper and jump the plug that goes to the temp sensor. You should hear the "powerstroke rattle" when you do this. If you have no rattle, then the pump needs advanced a little bit. If you have the rattle all the time, then the pump need turned back a little bit. You should have no rattle unless you jump the plug out, and it advances the timing in the pump.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure your air filter is ok. Unplug the temp sensor that controls the cold start advance unit behind the alternator. This also feeds the fast idle solenoid. With the truck running and warmed up, make a small jumper and jump the plug that goes to the temp sensor. You should hear the "powerstroke rattle" when you do this. If you have no rattle, then the pump needs advanced a little bit. If you have the rattle all the time, then the pump need turned back a little bit. You should have no rattle unless you jump the plug out, and it advances the timing in the pump.
i can try that, but i have no idea what that is supposed to sound like. do you know of a vid i could reference?

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didnt hear the noise you were referring to so i advanced the timing a bit. It seems to smoke a little less, unless i really het on the pedal, then a bunch of black smoke still comes out. But it does seem a bit better

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
post a video of a cold start and running for the first minute.

what color smoke are we talking about?

you can probably get your timing close if you look at the smoke patterns and listen for the diesel cackle and know your engine. but its going to be hard to get it perfect.

my old vw is way easier to time, but i can actually do it very close to ideal by ear and while the car is running! you can't do that on these trucks people say at risk of breaking something so its going to be some trial and error and you need very precise marks to give you a baseline.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Usually in my world, the further advance the pump is, the more black smoke I get. On these engines or otherwise.... You might be too far advanced or fuel turned up way too much.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually in my world, the further advance the pump is, the more black smoke I get. On these engines or otherwise.... You might be too far advanced or fuel turned up way too much.

yea, any time i put the pedal to the floor, even when its not getting high rpms, it smokes alot. i would think that would be too much fuel getting in there, and its not burning all the way, so it smokes alot. my fuel gauge seems to move pretty quick too. but Im still on my first tank.

How would i adjust the fuel but not the timing?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Do not play with the fuel screw until you have verified proper timing and a restriction free intake, you dont want to be ruining the calibration on a pump for no reason.

the truck should clatter like a psd when cold started, more advance(passenger side rotation) will give you more clatter and gennerally more black smoke. It is possible the truck had the fuel screw adjusted previously but lets verify you dont have another problem before curing a problem with a problem

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not play with the fuel screw until you have verified proper timing and a restriction free intake, you dont want to be ruining the calibration on a pump for no reason.

the truck should clatter like a psd when cold started, more advance(passenger side rotation) will give you more clatter and gennerally more black smoke. It is possible the truck had the fuel screw adjusted previously but lets verify you dont have another problem before curing a problem with a problem

Isnt the fuel screw on the IP? if so i bought that from conestoga diesel. i would imagine it should be at factory specs.

so does advancing add more fuel? or that has nothing to do with it?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Advancing has nothing to do with the amount of fuel delivered at any given time. Do you have the "moose" pump? If so, I believe they push more fuel and require a turbo and even better with an intercooler to run right. Or is yours the baby moose? Then that is factory fuel specs and you should leave it alone!!! In regards to the fuel screw,

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
Isnt the fuel screw on the IP? if so i bought that from conestoga diesel. i would imagine it should be at factory specs.

so does advancing add more fuel? or that has nothing to do with it?

Ya the fuel screw is in the ip. If you bought it from them I wouldnt adjust the screw until eliminating all other possibilities and talking to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08