lots of smoke on startup and rough idle?

boggerted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck seems to be developing a timing/ip/injector problem. If I let the truck sit overnight and its a cold morning out, it will start up first crank and idle smooth with very little smoke. However, if its a warm morning or its been less than a few hours since it was shut off, it will pour blue white smoke until its driven for a few miles. Also if the truck sits for only a few mins it will fire back up easy with no smoke. So, im guessing it starts up bad when either the cold advance is off or the engine isnt at full operating temp. The smoke looks just like this video (this isnt my truck and yes i read the guys thread):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuOTn2OD-W4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

What could my issue be? thanks

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck seems to be developing a timing/ip/injector problem. If I let the truck sit overnight and its a cold morning out, it will start up first crank and idle smooth with very little smoke. However, if its a warm morning or its been less than a few hours since it was shut off, it will pour blue white smoke until its driven for a few miles. Also if the truck sits for only a few mins it will fire back up easy with no smoke. So, im guessing it starts up bad when either the cold advance is off or the engine isnt at full operating temp. The smoke looks just like this video (this isnt my truck and yes i read the guys thread):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuOTn2OD-W4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

What could my issue be? thanks

If it is better with the cold timing advance on, the IP may be significantly retarded in it's timing. Retarded timing can give you some poor running and smoke issues. These IP's will retard in timing as they wear.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many miles are on your pump and injectors? If over 100K, don't even bother trying to improve it. Just replace them. It's time for a "tune up".

boggerted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know if the injectors were ever replaced or the pump. The pump seems to have this pink stuff on some of the adjustment screws almost as a tamper evident device, so maybe it was messed with. Is there a way to tell? Also, i dont know much about how to correctly time these trucks, what tools do you need and how is it properly done?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need a special meter, not cheap and hard to find. Most diesel shops don't have the equipment or don't know how to use it.

I don't know where you are located, but if you can make it to the Rally in July, it can be timed for free.

Heath

Black dawg

Reaction score
If it were mine I would bump the timing up some, overdose it with additive, drive it for a week or so and then get the timing set by meter. If the pump is not leaking and still starts hot it has some miles left in it. Ive seen a few go 200k plus with a little help.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
If it were mine I would bump the timing up some, overdose it with additive, drive it for a week or so and then get the timing set by meter. If the pump is not leaking and still starts hot it has some miles left in it. Ive seen a few go 200k plus with a little help.

if mine has the stock pump its got 272k on it. i run lucas in it every other fill up and its treating me good, knock on wood lol

boggerted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which way do you turn the pump to advance timing? Also do you have to loosen the injector lines for it to move or can you get away without doing that?

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
which way do you turn the pump to advance timing? Also do you have to loosen the injector lines for it to move or can you get away without doing that?

passenger side to advance it. idk about the injector lines though. you only move it a dimes width at a time so the lines shouldnt be an issue.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The most modern timing tool is a Ferret pulse adapter and an adjustable strobe timing light. You might spend close to $300 in parts to get the setup you need. Usuaklly guys here will help each other out, but not share timing tools, so we'll almost all time anyone else's truck for free but never lend out the tools(because these old one's are hard or impossible to replace) you should tell us your location. Check local fuel injection and turbo shops, ask how they time the old Chevy and Ford diesels and if they use tools, if so ask them what kind. Good answers are snap on, rotunda, Stanadyne tach-n- time, Design Technology, Kent Moore and others. there are two methods, pulse timing and luminosity timing, each one gives a different result. Luminosity is usually 1-3.5* ATDC @1400 rpm depending on what fuel you're burning, you could even advance it a little more, close to straight up(0 degrees) and with pulse it's usually 8.5-9.7* BTDC @ 2000.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
FYI that's my truck. A little bump to the timing and she is a whole new truck! I think I am going to turn the fuel screw up a flat after labor day. Just loosen the bolts and rotate the pump to the passenger side a touch.

PZ

rwilles

Reaction score
Might be time for a new pump!

I went through 9 months of trying to get the power back in my 94 Tidi. Additives, timing, new rocker arms, new return line pluming, new injectors. It all seemed to work a little. I was sure that it didn't need a new pump as i had a receipt from the previous owner that showed it was only 40k miles ago...

Wisdom speaks....
Agnem How many miles are on your pump and injectors? If over 100K, don't even bother trying to improve it. Just replace them. It's time for a "tune up".

...but I had over reved the motor while downshifting and had damaged something in the pump. There was tons of smoke but the weirdest symptom was the white smoke that would come while coasting down a hill with little to no fuel. Bought a rebuilt pump from Pensacola Diesel. it was less than $450 over-nighted to COS, no core charge. The hours I've spent trying to figure whats wrong easily covered that charge.. now just trying to get the timing as good as possible as there are no shops with a diesel system, but it runs like a champ again!

boggerted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i cleaned off the timing marks and the pump mark is almost a 1/4 inch to the drivers side of the mark on the block, so i really think i need to bump up my timing. I want to try just lining up the marks, but i cant seem to get at the bottom bolt. do you guys have a trick to getting that bottom nut loose?

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to fabricate a wrench for that bottom bolt haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online