Lots of questions

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Alright, since I have started driving my truck I have compiled a list of what is wrong with it that I need your guys help with. So here it goes.

First off, when the mice got in the heater core I tried getting all of the stink out of it , but it does a 90* turn and I cant get back there to get out the rest of the stink. So my question is what is involved in getting that thing out?

When I go around corners, I get a squeking sound from the front wheels. Is this caused by bad bearings? If so were should I get new ones? I'm not bearing edumacated, so explain it to me good.

The shifter arm is developing a rust issue towards the top of it, what should I do to fix this?

I bought new sun visors for my truck from LMC. They are both loose, but the drivers side is really bad. I can put it up into the position were you dont use it, let go of it, and it will fall down immediatly. The other one will stay up, but if I hit a bump in the road it will come falling down. How can I fix that?

Theres one more question, but I have to take a picture to go with it. So it'll have to wait until tommorow.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try to help here.

1. :dunno Never been in that far on the duct work
  2. Squeaking / squealing may be the alignment. Specificly the toe in may be towed out a little. This will cause a squeal every time you take a corner. The bigger tires are magnifying problems you have or "didn't know" you had.
  3. Coka Cola on a rag will take rust off the chrome, wax it when you get it cleaned up. Short of replacing the shifter best you can do is to keep cleaning it as needed. (hope that's what you are talking about)
  4. Replace the 2 sided tape. Use 3M brand made for holding emblems on car bodies...Available at any parts shop that sell autobody supplies. Make sure there is no wax or dirt on the paint before applying. If you have waxed the paint you will need wax and grease remover / paint prep. NOTE do not leave a solvent soaked rag sit on that new paint and don't use laquer thinner.
Bring on the rest, you know we are here for ya.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Have You re packed the bearings with grease? If so, did You tighten everything properly? I had something similar on the front ones after I put grease in them and they where not tight enough.

Now the shifter I wouldn't know but if You can remove the piece then maybe You can remove the rust from it with the method someone posted some time ago to get rid of rust, I think there is an article about it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best way to check the bearings is jack up the front wheel so the tire is off the ground, and wiggle it top to bottom. Shouldn't move. The squeeling is from the brake pads usually, and it's usually the bearings allowing the rotor to move off angle.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Okay heres some pics to help me explain. Click on them for a bigger picture.

Heres my truck sitting at our house.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the rusty shifter arm.

Heres me holding up the sun visor.

Heres me just after I let go of the sun visor.

The picture isnt all that good to see in the daytime, but the drivers side marker bulb isnt working all that good. It is putting out some light, but clearly not as much as the other one. And heres the kicker, when I have my turn signals on the drivers side works good, but the passenger side doesnt work at all cookoo .

Last edited:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
To get the heater ducts cleaned out ALL the way, gonna bout have to remove the dash to get to all of the duct work. :puke:

That's just me creating more work, but having gone that far and seeing how involved it is, that's prolly the only way to get everything cleaned out thoroughly without damaging the air deflectors.:dunno

The shifter arm, just snag a sheet of sandpaper and a rattle can of gloss black rustoleum and give it a shot.;Sweet

Sounds like ya got a wiring gremlin with the turn signal / markers.

Double check all of your harness grounds and wires for pinches or corrosion at connector points for a start.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Another option on the ducts is to have the fan running and spray some good quality air cleaner like Lysol, something that has some disenfecting in it, down the cowl in front of the windshield. Watch inside the cab to see it blow through the vents. Keep spraying and have someone shut off the fan. Let it sit overnight and that will keep the Lysol in the heating ducts and help kill the stink.

It worked on a few cars that I have had here at the lot.

BTW The truck looks great!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies ;Sweet .

The bearings for all I now are the stockers. When I first got the truck my grandfather said it needed new ones, but I dont remember squeking when I first got it. I should get it alligned though, thats a pretty good idea.

Tonkadoctor, what is your number 4 about?

Yeah I figured I would have to take the dash out. I might as well do it right. But I might try what Darrin suggested first to see if that will help, cause right know the rag soaked in Pine Sol isnt really cutting it (its a nice smell coming out of it, a combination of Pine trees and mice **** :rotflmao ).

Dsl_Dog_Catcher, thanks for the tip on the shifter, thats what I was thinking on doing but wasnt sure.

Thanks for the compliment Darrin ;Sweet , I wont lie I love getting them from people.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#4 was about those vent visors for the side windows, now I realize you are talking about the sun visors in the cab. DOH:dunno

and for #3 for some reason I was thinking you had an automatic for some reason....However it is a good old school trick for chrome;Sweet

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay heres some pics to help me explain. Click on them for a bigger picture.

Heres my truck sitting at our house.

Here is the rusty shifter arm.

Heres me holding up the sun visor.

Heres me just after I let go of the sun visor.

The picture isnt all that good to see in the daytime, but the drivers side marker bulb isnt working all that good. It is putting out some light, but clearly not as much as the other one. And heres the kicker, when I have my turn signals on the drivers side works good, but the passenger side doesnt work at all cookoo .

Um for the Rusty shifter....there is a thing called "Paint" not sure if you've heard of it but you can buy small cans about 2.5" diameter and 8" tall. the have a nozzle of which you point away from you and depress. A stream of paint will come out and stick on what you aim the nozzle at.

You may want to take the shifter OUT of the cab prior to painting it. BTW this Paint stuff comes in a variety of colours including Black, semi gloss black, flat black and many other colours in the rainbow.

PS Make sure you uh shake the rattle (spray paint) can well before using it.

For the Visors....

Take them out, send em back to where you got em, go to wrecker and buy some Ford ones or ask where u bought em to send you ones with stronger hinges that won't droop down. Or Buy new ford ones from a Ford dealer.

Personally, I took mine out....placed em on a flat surface, found the hinge wire where the wire goes from roof hinge to visor hinge...put a piece of wood next to the hinge and smacked it with a BFH to crush the folded metal part inside the visor (u can feel the folded metal hinge) thus pressing it tighter onto the metal bar and tightening the hinge.

Now for the noise you hear, I realy have no idea what your hearing as you did not say if its just one direction or the other? on road (paved) or also off road.

Could be bushings that are worn, brakes, bearings, or a combination of these and a few others.....

If you cannot find the noise...Earplugs....:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

FordGuy100

Reaction score
#4 was about those vent visors for the side windows, now I realize you are talking about the sun visors in the cab. DOH:dunno

and for #3 for some reason I was thinking you had an automatic for some reason....However it is a good old school trick for chrome;Sweet

Oh, thats what you were talking about. I was sitting there for like 5 minutes thinking why someone would wax there sun visors.

Yeah I think I've seen the Coca-Cola trick on Mythbusters before ;Sweet .

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Um for the Rusty shifter....there is a thing called "Paint" not sure if you've heard of it but you can buy small cans about 2.5" diameter and 8" tall. the have a nozzle of which you point away from you and depress. A stream of paint will come out and stick on what you aim the nozzle at.

You may want to take the shifter OUT of the cab prior to painting it. BTW this Paint stuff comes in a variety of colours including Black, semi gloss black, flat black and many other colours in the rainbow.

PS Make sure you uh shake the rattle (spray paint) can well before using it.

For the Visors....

Take them out, send em back to where you got em, go to wrecker and buy some Ford ones or ask where u bought em to send you ones with stronger hinges that won't droop down. Or Buy new ford ones from a Ford dealer.

Personally, I took mine out....placed em on a flat surface, found the hinge wire where the wire goes from roof hinge to visor hinge...put a piece of wood next to the hinge and smacked it with a BFH to crush the folded metal part inside the visor (u can feel the folded metal hinge) thus pressing it tighter onto the metal bar and tightening the hinge.

Now for the noise you hear, I realy have no idea what your hearing as you did not say if its just one direction or the other? on road (paved) or also off road.

Could be bushings that are worn, brakes, bearings, or a combination of these and a few others.....

If you cannot find the noise...Earplugs....:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

Yeah that spray paint stuff I've heard of that stuff before :rolleyes: .

The noise comes from when I go around a corner, steering to the right, and it will squek some. I did go out there and lifted the front end off the ground and felt the tires for any side to side movement, and there is some on the driver side wheel, but none on the passenger side. They didnt move when I did the top and bottom, but when I did the sides I got a little movement on the drivers side.

Darrin that Lysol trick worked awsome, no more miss **** and Pine tree smeel, only the smell of lysol ;Sweet .

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, thats what you were talking about. I was sitting there for like 5 minutes thinking why someone would wax there sun visors.

Yeah I think I've seen the Coca-Cola trick on Mythbusters before ;Sweet .
:rotflmao At least I made you think about something, pretty hard thing to get a teenager to doLOL

Yea I was figuring you got it home waxed it up and then started installing all the goodies you bought and could'nt figure out why a set of vent visors wouldn't stay put.

As for a new set of sun visors doing that I'd send them back, That's B.S. to hit a bump and have them flop around.

The Coke trick my daddy taught me when I was knee high to a grasshopper. He made us polish the spokes, wheels, handle bars and sissy bars on our bicycles about once a month and then wax them. Then we got to do the bumpers and trim on the Chebby van. Needless to say I'll spend the money to buy stainless over chrome these days.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The noise comes from when I go around a corner, steering to the right, and it will squek some. I did go out there and lifted the front end off the ground and felt the tires for any side to side movement, and there is some on the driver side wheel, but none on the passenger side. They didnt move when I did the top and bottom, but when I did the sides I got a little movement on the drivers side.

Top to bottom checks the bearings, side to side checks the steering components.

Check the toe in the alignment. Only takes time unless you take it to a shop. Slight toe in is good (usually 1/16 - 1/8"), toe out will cause a squeal, usually turning both directions but sometimes on just one side....I don't know the specs on these trucks anymore so somebody else will have to step in.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok here goes a thought for the rusty shifter arm. First off I'm not going to poke fun at you but could it just be you? What I mean is look around where you live and touch doors and tool box lids. Are they kinda greasy or do you see some black dirt around the touch area? If so you, like many others have oils that are present on your hands and that can attack a finish. Ever try to spray paint something and find "fingerprints that wont take paint. I call those spots holidays. Just my idea. Anyway just something to look for. You could also wear some big rig driving gloves.....;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online

No members online now.