Lots of questions

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Ok here goes a thought for the rusty shifter arm. First off I'm not going to poke fun at you but could it just be you? What I mean is look around where you live and touch doors and tool box lids. Are they kinda greasy or do you see some black dirt around the touch area? If so you, like many others have oils that are present on your hands and that can attack a finish. Ever try to spray paint something and find "fingerprints that wont take paint. I call those spots holidays. Just my idea. Anyway just something to look for. You could also wear some big rig driving gloves.....;Sweet

Nah, I didnt do it. I got it that way. My grandfather would drive holding on to that spot with his hand, and I guess over time it wore the paint off of it.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I've been meaning to try a visor off my 93. To see if it'll fit on my 85.

Right now, I hold them up with those magnets, with the little spring clamps on them.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Pull the wheels and check the brake caliper.The Alignment pin might be worn or just not right and allowing the caliper to float over and drag slightly.One of those Better ford ideas.My 94 had a bad one on the drivers side and it would freakin drive you nuts.Squeel turning and Rattle like a cheap can of paint if there was any roughness in the road.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Pull the wheels and check the brake caliper.The Alignment pin might be worn or just not right and allowing the caliper to float over and drag slightly.One of those Better ford ideas.My 94 had a bad one on the drivers side and it would freakin drive you nuts.Squeel turning and Rattle like a cheap can of paint if there was any roughness in the road.

Were at on the brake caliper is the alignment pin?

Freight_Train

Reaction score
I think on your style they are on the bottom of the caliper.You can see them when you yank the wheel.Shake the caliper and if it moves alot then there might be the problem.There shouldn't be much movement.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
As for the shifter I wrapped vulcanizing rubber electrical tape around the entire shifting shaft on my old truck it looks good if you take your time wrapping and it doesnt rub or fray off.

As for the visors......you could just get some heavy duty velcro and stick it to the visor. With a fabric head liner you would only need the "hook" side stuck on the visor. With no head liner use both sides of the velcro one half on the visor and one half on the steel of the cab. The heavy duty velcro is more expensive but it far better adhesive.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pins are actually what holds the caliper on and also what they slide on. My practice is to buy new pins when replacing the pads. They are a wear item like the pads and are not meant to be life time.

They are two metal bars with rubber between them, if you get your brakes really hot and/or run on a lot of rough rode they wear out very fast. And with good or new pins there should be no movement. Any play at all means they are wore out.

Having said that, I have pulled them apart and put a piece of baler belt between them because it is a long ways to buy parts.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Quick question, I've been getting a feeling like my brake rotors are warped. Would this be a symptom of bad pins?

I plan on gettin the tires off this weekend and seeing if theres anything wrong in there.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are dual piston calipers and can warp a rotor if both pistons aren't moving properly. I'd replace the calipers and pads when you replace the rotor.

eyoung429

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen one point that nobody has thought to regarding the turn/marker signals.

You just got the truck painted, correct?

Were the lights functioning before? I don't know how deep you went regarding breakdown of removing all of the wiring from your truck prior to painting....if you went all the way, you may have to pull all of your ground to chassis ends and clear away some of the paint to get a good connection. Once that is established, I generally go over each point of contact (after connecting the bolt/screw to the sheetmetal) with a shot of clearcoat paint to seal the area and prevent rusting of the connectors....others I have seen use some vasaline to prevent corrosion...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Okay so weres these pins on these pics?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Freight_Train

Reaction score
On your truck they are more of a wedge.It is located at the bottom.The Bolt down there holds it in place.You remove the bolt and tap the pin/wedge out lengthwise.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I cant live with this squeking anymore. Its been getting worse by the day, and its now happening alot. It will start squeking when I'm going down a strait road, and its alot easier to get them to squeel when I got around a corner. The sound isnt constant, it kind of cuts out everytime the wheel goes around. So I guess I can say that it sounds like its squeeling for 270 degrees of wheel rotation, and then the other 90 degrees it stops, then its squeels, then stops out ect...

So can you guys tell me were I can get some of these pins. If you guys now the NAPA # that would be the best, cause thats the closest auto parts store to me.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
to test the sqeaking slap your wheels on there and spin them by hand while you have it jacked up, or if you can spin the rotor by the lug bolts. If you haven't 100% confirmed those pins as the squeaky part take off the calipers and spin the rotors and put stuff back on slowly until you find what makes them squeak. Such as you can probably put the calipers back on temporarily with the brake pads off and listen for squeak.

Also, to see if your rotor is warped spin the rotor by hand as fast as you can (via the lug bolts again) and look down it. When my rotor was warped you could see the rotor wave in and out as you spun it...

And also, if you don't use them already, always use jack stands. You don't want to be squished flat by a couple thousand pound truck. Those jacks can easily fail.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
When I had the wheel of last I could spin the rotor by hand via the lug bolts. It wasnt easy to do it, it took some effert but I could get it to spin. It didnt spin freely.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online