Looking to get into an IDI -

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think running a 7.3 with less then 3.55 gears going to start running into problems, shifting all the time unless on flat ground, not having any real power. I actually think you would end up with less MPG . MHO There is a reason why trucks don't have gearing in the low 3.00- 3.55.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I do build that mileage monster, I plan to use it as a car, never carrying more than me, the dog and the groceries. I'll deliberately build it to not be able to tow or haul. The one I plan to work with is the 2wd '91 supercab.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@nelstomlinson i think 20 mpg not towing would be achievable with a zf5 and 3:55 gears

yeah, I've put a LOT of eco mods on my IDI to get up passed 20mpg. It's nearly unachievable on an automatic without dumping a lot of time and money into the vehicle. I made a list of my mods here.

Pretty much the only people I've met who have a slightly more efficient IDI than my van are the guys with highway gearing and the manual tranny. Even then, they are only breaking 20mpg when fully unloaded.

avant_oil

Reaction score
Well, that sucks. There is hardly anything out there that looks decent. It's either project car and it'll take me months or a years to fix it up and I'm not looking for that right now - I want something a little closer to turnkey - OR cars in really, really condition (at least it looks like it) for outrageous prices like this one. No cracks in the dash, nice interior, etc.

I think I'm still going to check out the the service records of this truck and run the VIN to check for original mileage out of curiosity. Any tips or thoughts on other rigs I should look at?

Update: He called today and said he'd go down to 14k. I also have a 1989 Land Cruiser with a re-built engine I'm looking at but the Ford / camper shell offers a lot more space.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Unless you need something right now, I say to keep looking. There's still good deals to be had on IDI powered trucks. Just keep this in mind though. The newest ones are now 27 years old. They will all need some work. Some need more than others. It's just one of the "joys" of owning an old vehicle.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See if you can find a low mile 2003 7.3 Powerstroke. Best year for them. Have one in my neighborhood that is a Peach but not for sale yet. Wave at him everyday when he goes by. Hoping he will wash the dust off soon, shines like it is. Garage kept.

avant_oil

Reaction score
I really wanted to get into one by the end of the year and preferably before the weather gets bad in the snowy regions. Thanks for the advice riphip - I'll check it out. I hope I can find one with a more analog feel because that's definitely one of the draws to an older truck for me. I don't like a bunch of electronics in it that could (will) fail. IDIBRONCO, I hear ya - there will always be something that needs replacing on an old car. My 1980 Mercedes has been a project so I'm looking for something in better condition as a baseline.

I found an ad for the truck I was looking at in case anyone is interested in checking it out: http://www.lbparkandsell.net/vehicle/283410/1985-ford-f-250-for-sale-in-lake-havasu-city-az-86403

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really wanted to get into one by the end of the year and preferably before the weather gets bad in the snowy regions. Thanks for the advice riphip - I'll check it out. I hope I can find one with a more analog feel because that's definitely one of the draws to an older truck for me. I don't like a bunch of electronics in it that could (will) fail. IDIBRONCO, I hear ya - there will always be something that needs replacing on an old car. My 1980 Mercedes has been a project so I'm looking for something in better condition as a baseline.

I found an ad for the truck I was looking at in case anyone is interested in checking it out: http://www.lbparkandsell.net/vehicle/283410/1985-ford-f-250-for-sale-in-lake-havasu-city-az-86403
"70K miles" and with ugly aftermarket wheels, tint, and cap, AND the C6 transmission, for 16K? OH HELL NO.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
yeah, I've put a LOT of eco mods on my IDI to get up passed 20mpg. It's nearly unachievable on an automatic without dumping a lot of time and money into the vehicle. I made a list of my mods here.

Pretty much the only people I've met who have a slightly more efficient IDI than my van are the guys with highway gearing and the manual tranny. Even then, they are only breaking 20mpg when fully unloaded.
My 91 cab and a half 2wd f250 CAN get 21 mpg highway, unloaded as u mentioned, with a 5 speed. I also have a super duty rear end in it with nice disk brakes and 3.73 gears and 265/75/16 tires. I also have alot of @Thewespaul products under the hood. Nice 110 cc pump, 3582 turbo, and stage 1 injectors. I can also very easily drop that mileage down to the 13's by letting that right foot down harder on the skinny pedal. Takes ALOT to make that mpg as well as some self control cause it's hard to not use more power when u know you have it. I average 18 usually. Once I get everything for Wes' intercooler kit to go in the truck I hope to see more power as well as more room for mpg when I'm just cruising empty on a long drive.