Looking to get into an IDI -

avant_oil

Reaction score
I'm daily driving a 1980 Mercedes 300SD (5 cylinder, turbo diesel, OM617) and looking to add an IDI to my garage.

I want to sleep in the truck bed under a camper shell while on the road or camping. I'd like it to be as off-road capable as possible although I'm not looking to go rock crawling with it - just want the flexibility. I'd also like to use it as a work truck down the line if I get a piece of property I want to personally develop (build a small cabin). I may need to use it to tow a small "tiny house" to the property so I can live out of that while I build.

I found a 1985 6.9 IDI (naturally aspirated), long bed, Explorer (4x4), F-250 single cab, automatic transmission, 73k miles - one owner - no rust that I could see anywhere and has a bunch of recent work. Owner has all the service records which show brand new tires, brakes, rims, shocks, air compressor, batteries, stereo system, etc. It's also got a 5 year old paint job on it that is probably one of the better paint jobs I've seen - I looked for overspray and couldn't find any. I spent about two hours checking everything out so it wasn't just a once over.

When talking to him it sounds like it was mostly his brother's truck but they shared it a bit and his reason for selling is he is "crazy." I asked him when the last time he changed out the glow plugs as a baseline and he said he didn't know, if it isn't broken why fix it. Looking at the engine bay though it looked like pretty much new rubber everywhere I could see so he must believe in some sort of preventative maintenance OR his brother did. He's also running synthetic diesel oil. I asked him if there was a block heater on it because in my research I found that the 85' head can crack with a block heater (true or not?) and he said he didn't know BUT that on cold days he has to "plug something in" near the grille. Not sure what it is or if it's aftermarket or original.

I took a ton of pictures of the engine bay and underneath the vehicle but unfortunately my phone needed to be reset a couple days later and I lost them all. I only have this guy's phone number - it was listed for sale off the street.

He says he towed his personal sedan and while towing he still managed to get 20 MPG.

I cold-started the truck and it sounded really strong and started right up. Before buying, I would pay a mechanic to check the compression and make sure the engine is within factory specs. During the test drive the temperature gauge didn't seem to move - I wanted to make sure it didn't lean toward overheating. I couldn't find a nearby enough hill to test the engine under load.

He's asking 15.9k for it which I think it a very high price for an IDI but since I'm just getting into it I'm not sure. He said he originally had it listed for close to 20k because of all the recent work but no bites. Someone offered him 13k and he turned it down. He said he'd be "losing" money. Not sure how you lose money on a truck that's probably been paid off for thirty years...

Is this a crazy price or is the market just nuts right now? I could probably go to 14.5k if I had to but wouldn't leave much wiggle room for improvements.

That's everything I can think of - hoping for feedback so I can make a decision soon.

Last edited:

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion thats way to high for that price I can buy a powerstroke but if you are set on an idi I would keep looking patience is key when looking for specific rigs

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
16k????
Better pass a licensed appraisal professionals twice over!
Most of these are +-6k trucks!
He sounds like a c list scammer!
New rubber = hiding leaks
When were the gp's replaced answer I dunno= ******** they bought it new (my take) !
Post pics from fome, hit upload file middle bluebox at bottm of post and pic pics,docs ect

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You wanna see an idi appraisal of 16k from a licensed pro with several association certs?
Mine has 50k second owner miles.

Does it come with the $10,000 fiver?

You must be registered for see images attach

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its not some low mile garage queen / barn find / time capsule, there's no way I'd ever consider 16k for one of these trucks, especially if that automatic transmission is the C6. You can get any cheap IDI truck and put a fresh engine, trans, fuel system, and turbo in, and pay someone to do it, for less than that 16k.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Walk away.

1. Its too expensive.

2.Seller is untrustworthy based on the 20mpg towing claim.

3. If it only has 73K original miles, its because the c-6 transmission is so poorly geared it has been kept off of the highway its entire life. All the low mileage IDI's I see nowdays are c-6 trucks because its not a good combination for modern roads and speed limits.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first 7.3 was a 4x4 with a C-6 I can't say that I thought it was so bad. Drove down the road as fast as I wanted to go and don't remember the mileage being that bad for a truck.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
3. If it only has 73K original miles, its because the c-6 transmission is so poorly geared it has been kept off of the highway its entire life. All the low mileage IDI's I see nowdays are c-6 trucks because its not a good combination for modern roads and speed limits.

My motorhome has about 73k original, but that's because it's a motorhome. Most people don't buy a motorhome for a daily driver. I agree that IDIs are slow pokes. I prefer my taller ATS 085 turbo motorhome to my shorter NA F250 when I tried pulling a shorter trailer. Pulling a light trailer with the motorhome hasn't really messed with the mpg or power much, unlike the F250 with a 27' travel trailer.

I just cruise at 60mph on average in the motorhome and let people pass me. I will let off the throttle and lose a few mph for a minute to help them pass faster after they have started, if it's 2 lane highway. It took someone 15-20 miles before they finally passed me yesterday despite a dozen chances and me moving over towards the shoulder line during passing zones, so they could see around me that no one was coming the other way. Maybe they thought I was drunk and was gonna crash into them if they tried to pass because I was moving around in the lane so much. But I was trying to invite them to pass me. LOL I saw them in my side mirror rush up behind me but then they sat back there forever. :dunno

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walk away.

1. Its too expensive.

2.Seller is untrustworthy based on the 20mpg towing claim.

Can't agree on #3. All of mine have 2-300K miles on them & C-6 trannies. Go as fast as I wanted rolling coal :rock::rock::rock:

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even in Alaska, $16K would be crazy high. For that rig I might go $6k if the body and drive train all looked NEW, and if I KNEW that the odometer hadn't rolled over at least once.

I wouldn't expect to get 20mpg out of an IDI with a zf5. Definitely wouldn't expect with a C6 when towing.