Looking cavitation in the eye.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Most of us know what cavitation is, but never saw what it looks like from the outside of the cylinder wall. Here's a section from a V12 Cummins that filled a cylinder with coolant under load and grenaded the liner, piston and rod.

You must be registered for see images

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats an expensive mistake. wonder what the whole story is. that dont happen overnight,takes years of neglect to do that damage.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just shows how its bit only our trucks that have this problem. Sadly having the parent bore blocks make it harder to fix

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
The company that had it bought it used...and obviously abused. The crying doesn't start till the write the check at $3000 a hole to rebuild. It wouldn't have been so bad to just fix the bad cyl, but there was coolant in the oil a while.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow.. Looks like a bunch of metal mites ate thru that .. At 3 grand a cylinder thats going to cost plenty of a V12. I would at least pul all the cylinders and check them for this. Might find this was only on this one cylinder. I know I'm being hopeful but why not. Really sad to see an engine that has been run hard and not taken care off. Many years back a member here or on "the other dite" was posting about his grenaded engine. Seems he was driving home from work in some back dirt roads needing to ***. So he stepped into the trees to go leaving the engine idling. As he started to *** he heard the engine banging horribly. finished up and was running back to the knocking truck when he saw the coolant and oil pouring out the bottom of the truck. Windowed the block and broke the crank. That was an expensive **** right there..

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
This engine is getting a complete overhaul. I'll get pics of it tonight when I go to get my bellhousing and timing cover.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I've see it. I used to work on Peugeots and they used wet liners which made it easy to see when you rebuilt an engine. On the peugeot's I've seen , it looked like a series of 1/8" drill bit starts.

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the wet liners there are rubber O-rings that the liners slide in, that seal the liner. When these O-rings get soft the coolant gets by and into the block. Had to rebuild a JD450 engine due to O-ring leaks and liner cavitation - again previous owner abuse ! No wonder I was able to get the machine real cheap. Prior to purchase I checked the engine lube oil and it looked not too bad, a little dirty. When I changed the oil is when I found the engine coolant. I caught it just in time before major damage was done, I think.

Live and learn eh !

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
thats an expensive mistake. wonder what the whole story is. that dont happen overnight,takes years of neglect to do that damage.

I used to have a similar part on my "wall of shame" where I hung up all of the bad parts that could be used to bring a lesson home. It was out of a DT466 that had less than 3,000 hours in light duty delivery with NO Nal Cool. About 50,000 miles with idle time. Doesn't take years on some engines. NTC 350 Cummins happend pretty quick too. It all depends on how much sonic vibration is in the cylinder walls since it is the implosion of bubbles that eats away the cast iron.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
With the wet liners there are rubber O-rings that the liners slide in, that seal the liner. When these O-rings get soft the coolant gets by and into the block. Had to rebuild a JD450 engine due to O-ring leaks and liner cavitation - again previous owner abuse ! No wonder I was able to get the machine real cheap. Prior to purchase I checked the engine lube oil and it looked not too bad, a little dirty. When I changed the oil is when I found the engine coolant. I caught it just in time before major damage was done, I think.

Live and learn eh !

No rubber O rings in a Peugeot. They used paper or plastic shims/ seals on the bottom end to control the protrusion of the cylinder above the surface of the block. Very critical to accurately measure. I see the advantage for field rebuilding to factory precision with no machine shop available. However, it makes for a more difficult rebuild.