Looking at a 90 F250 7.3 IDI, have 2 hours to make decision, please help!

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Save yourself some additional labor with mechanics because of the the potential for a broken glow plug in a head. Start spraying all the glow plugs, bushings, injectors down with this. Anything you want replaced. Buy a few cans. To date I have removed everything bolted to my 200k engine and only broken 2 exhaust manifold to cross over bolts, and a thermostat hosing bolt. Age, not mileage is what determines corrosion so starts spraying it all down a few days in a row and it will pay for itself 10 times over in labor for any mechanic

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121754567220&alt=web

abacuschicken

Reaction score
Save yourself some additional labor with mechanics because of the the potential for a broken glow plug in a head. Start spraying all the glow plugs, bushings, injectors down with this. Anything you want replaced. Buy a few cans. To date I have removed everything bolted to my 200k engine and only broken 2 exhaust manifold to cross over bolts, and a thermostat hosing bolt. Age, not mileage is what determines corrosion so starts spraying it all down a few days in a row and it will pay for itself 10 times over in labor for any mechanic

Thanks! Good idea. I bought some stuff like that several months ago for a 75 F100 4x4 that I needed to have the manifold replaced on. I got it at O'Rielleys, used if for about 5 days, and voila...off they came. The other side I had done before that and the effing mechanics gauged the crap out of me, broke 3 out of 4 bolts and never bothered to mention this existed. Mobile mechanic that charged me an extra 3 hours because the schmucks missed the after market fuel pump switch and couldn't get the truck to run...GRRRRR

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well 300 miles a bit far for either of us LOL so thats out...I doubt I will drive 300 miles to time a truck....:dunno...

Sure looks like a fine truck.

Nice horse too

Thanks for sharing

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah plus then you'd have to deal with Al and all his baloney LOL LOL LOL

Seriously tho, Russ aka @typ4 isn't that far from you....and we here on the forum know that he KNOWS these engines and trucks.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice looking buckskin and the truck is nice too.... Aerokroil is about the finest penetrant on the market too. I have used it nearly 45 years and it never fails to loosen the worst bolts and nuts. The trick to using it is to allow the parts in question to warm up and cool down several times and continued spraying it with tis . I sometimes will heat something up and cool it down with a spray of Aerokroil but that takes plenty of the product but it usually work the fastest too. But shooting it cold. then driving the truck and allowing it to cool down over night will take longer but it will creep in just the same to the frozen nuts and bolts. The stuff really works in during the heat and cool cycles.
Russ aka typ4 knows more than most have forgotten on this forum. I value his opinion greatly.

abacuschicken

Reaction score
Thanks, that is my Lucy, 8 yr old foundation QH mare. I send a friend request to typ4 to make contact. Thank you for the input and advice :).

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see a potential "reliable diesel mechanic" riding a quarterhorse somewhere in this thread....

Seriously, yeah, you will probably want to farm out a lot of this. But there's a fair amount you should consider doing yourself. If you can do spark plugs in a gasser, you can do glow plugs in this truck. They can be done completely independently of the IP. Shocks are crazy simple; you can do 'em with the truck right on the ground. IP would be good to leave to someone who knows how to time these engines.

Hey - I think we have the same rims (though yours look wider) -

Attachments

• GorillaCenterCap.jpg
    GorillaCenterCap.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 118

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

AeroKroil is some amazing stuff.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and to the truck. There is a world of knowledge in here and many people who can help you.

abacuschicken

Reaction score
I see a potential "reliable diesel mechanic" riding a quarterhorse somewhere in this thread....

Seriously, yeah, you will probably want to farm out a lot of this. But there's a fair amount you should consider doing yourself. If you can do spark plugs in a gasser, you can do glow plugs in this truck. They can be done completely independently of the IP. Shocks are crazy simple; you can do 'em with the truck right on the ground. IP would be good to leave to someone who knows how to time these engines.

Hey - I think we have the same rims (though yours look wider) -

Hello!

Yeah, I would like to start doing some of this myself if possible. Need to amass some tools again, alas the last dude I let in my life took 'em :(... My rim size is currently the outdated and PIA 16.5 x 12.5 x 235s. I'm looking at a set of 16" Ultra Ltd. Edition rims from same year range as my truck to switch over to. I do need to find someone who I can trust to diagnose the small fuel leak (it's giving me a headache from the fumes). Willing to make a weekend trip of it though if there is a solid resource within a couple of hundred miles.

abacuschicken

Reaction score
Seems i got kicked out of the ol' boys club here just for making a comment about getting my tools taken by an ex-dude. Real is real guys, doesn't mean I should be excommunicated. My new truck's fuel system went cattywompous but since no one on here replied to my previous thread...didn't seem to be much reason to reach out even though ya'll said ask the experts here before getting work done. Sigh.