Looking at a 90 F250 7.3 IDI, have 2 hours to make decision, please help!

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
If that mechanic took three hours to diagnose no fuel. He ain't much of a mechanic. Must have been fresh out of school.

That's maybe the problem anymore, computer controlled, fuel pumps in the tank or rail mounted.

To be fair, it's not just the ones coming out of school in the last 5 years.....
Some of the things I hear coming out of 20+year guys at work makes me walk away and shake my head.

There's a big difference between those of us who learned to tune a carburetor and the guys who went to school and learned on computer controls as far as knowledge.
I had a 25 year master tech ask me if a 302 was a good motor. LOL

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be fair, it's not just the ones coming out of school in the last 5 years.....
Some of the things I hear coming out of 20+year guys at work makes me walk away and shake my head.

There's a big difference between those of us who learned to tune a carburetor and the guys who went to school and learned on computer controls as far as knowledge.
I had a 25 year master tech ask me if a 302 was a good motor. LOL

Haah ain't that the truth. I had an engine builder who worked for his company for 20+ years (Promar) tell me the 6.9 was not a good candidate for a rebuild. Even the newer B block. That's when I hung up the phone & changed my mind with buying one of their engines.
Sorry to hear your truck problems. Lots of people on OB to help you out step by step. I say go buy yourself a nice tool kit & start working on her yourself. These things are simple. Just dropped in my rebuilt 6,9 engine in mine & 4 hrs later, it's almost ready to be started. Can't say the same with newer vehicles. They complicate the heck out of those things nowadays.