Lockright locker

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
sle2115 said:
The other thing is, with the "loose" clutch packs in todays LS diffs, you can easily slip the clutch pack and defeat the limited slip part. They are set up that way for liabilities. :)

Was that the case 15-20 years ago? I want to pull an LSD from a junkyard truck but need one that actually works :draw

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
If you can find one in a "yard" that is still in the pumpkin with wheels/tires on it, get one wheel off ground other on the ground, use torque wrench to see how much torque is required to turn wheel that is off ground. Look up the torque value before you go. OkieGringo

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I believe it was. I know I have mechanic friends who added clutches or changed them for many years to factory LS units that were mandated by race class, yet were loose. For driveability, that isn't a bad thing, but they will sometimes slip when you don't want them to as well.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NapaBavarian said:
Was that the case 15-20 years ago? I want to pull an LSD from a junkyard truck but need one that actually works :draw

I seriously doubt that you will find one in a junked truck that still "works". Yea, it will have enough holding power to turn the other wheel, but that a far cry from transferring full engine torque in a low traction situation.

The clutches and plates are wear items, just driving them around wears them out going around corners etc. Just expect to have to rebuild a junkyard unit.... Ford dealers do the same thing with new LS's that the owners complain about. Rebuild them with a higher preload on the clutch pack.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I figured I'd need to rebuild it, but $25-50 + rebuild kit for $100 beats $550 for a brand new one ;Sweet

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put a mini spool in it. All it does is connect the 2 axles. No racheting and no slipping. Now that would be fun around a sharp turn.

Chris

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Mr_Roboto said:
I agree. Maybe the question was the design, and not just the setup.

Soooo, the old LS's should be just as good if not better than the new ones.

Just rewread my origional statement and see why you were confused :rotflmao since I said I wanted one that works, at least I knew what I was thinking :thumbsup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes