Lockright locker

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im looking into a locker for my dually. I'm thinking about the Lockright unit from powertrax because it installs into the existing case and is much cheaper than a whole carier. I need better traction off road for the farm and towing. I drive this truck everyday so I dont want to lose any driveability. What is my best, (cheapest) option?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Would love to put one in mine as well. No gear fuss and all. I read on another site though that they will not hold up to the torque and all of a diesel. I think Argve put one in his Cummins, and while I don't know him personally, from what I have read if someone is going to break it, Argve is our man! :)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ironman03R said:
Im looking into a locker for my dually. I'm thinking about the Lockright unit from powertrax because it installs into the existing case and is much cheaper than a whole carier. I need better traction off road for the farm and towing. I drive this truck everyday so I dont want to lose any driveability. What is my best, (cheapest) option?

Got a link? I liked the TruTrac locker myself, although I never owned one.

Marks Garage

Reaction score
lockrite

I have installed a lot of these in peoples jeeps. They are very noisy when they unlock on turns, but never seen one break. Most people complain about the noise.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Back in 92 I put one in my son's Jeep CJ-5 rear end. It was pretty easy. My CJ-5 has PowerLoc Limited Slips w/4.27 gears in both pumpkins. My truck has a LS from factory, whatever that is. And it works real well. As I remember on the LockRites, it's the spyer gear shaft that is the weak link that breaks with real hard use. OkieGringo

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
We have them in our Jeep as well, but even with the small block chevy, it doesn't weigh much and while I can probably put the hurts on it with horsepower, it generally will just spin! :) I don't know what my truck weighs now, but in stock trim it weighed 6300 pounds and I just figure pulling all that weight might work them hard. Now it has DRW and that would just add to the workout.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I have one and it's working pretty good - Yes you can hear it if I have the window down and I'm in a parking lot making a sharp turn. As for not holding up to the power of a diesel - haven't seen that yet and trust me I beat on mine... :peelout

I really like the fact that both tires will turn at the same speed no matter what when I lay into it - I love it around corners because I just slip up a gear and mash the pedal down then hang on... The rear end of the truck just whips around the corner so of like a teenage in a old muscle car - I think Goodyear is going to put me on their christmas card list next year :eek:

The main and only complaint I have is when I turn a corner (sharp turn) under light throttle to no throttle (remember I have a manual so drive train is still directly connected to the engine) I get some bucking and it makes for an uncomfrontable situation - not hazzardous by any means just kills the ride quality - the truck sort of lunges and bucks until I either give it a little more fuel or slip the clutch a little. So for them acting like a open diff in a turn is a little bit of a stretch - maybe it would be different with an automatic because the torque converter would absorb the bucking where as a manual just transmits to the engine and with the low end torque that a diesel produces you end up with bucking...

If I had it to do over again I think I would have just installed an ARB air locker so that I could turn it OFF when I was not in need of the add'tl traction that a locker gives.

Now for traction gains - boy this thing is the cats meow. My 2wd truck can now go just about anywhere I want to go - I have been stuck in wet grass when it was a peg leg kicker but now I don't have to worry so much as long as I have some weight in the rear so that the tires can get traction away we go... No it's not as good as a 4x4 by any stretch of the means but compared to what I had before it's a world of difference. The only off roading that my truck sees is in a campground so for getting down in the mud and muck I can't give you a opinion or report on that because my truck will never see that type of duty (I hate cleaning)... But in the snow it does pretty darn well - I ended up taking the weight out of the bed to test it and I was impressed - now you have to pay attention because with a locker the rear end wants to walk when it loses traction not like it was when I had just one tire pushing - but you get used to it right quick.

I will say that since I added the locker my ET's have dropped because now I can stay in the throttle a bit more so I'm putting more usable power to the ground - before when I would nail the go pedal at 40mph all I would do is light the one tire up and if I stayed in the throttle smoke would pour from the passengers side wheel well - now with the locker I can nail the go pedal and I get a little wheel slip but then she grabs asphalt and away we go - just skitters sideways for a split second then comes the wheel hop as the springs wrap and unwrap - so the locker is going to cost me more money because now I have build some traction or ladder bars...

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard some people say that towing w/ a locker or L/S is a bad idea, but no one can ever tell me WHY! I tow my race car on a 16' trailer, a 29' 5ver, and a 350bushel grain box gooseneck. The main reason I need the traction is pulling the 24,000lb. gooseneck out of the muddy fields.
I guess if it was a concern, Ford wouldnt include a locking rear in there towing packages in the new trucks. :confused:

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
FeMan, You'll be happier in the long run with a OEM LS. Find one in a wrecking yard, have new clutches put in, and it'll give you many, many years of service. OkieGringo

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ironman03R said:
I've heard some people say that towing w/ a locker or L/S is a bad idea, but no one can ever tell me WHY! I tow my race car on a 16' trailer, a 29' 5ver, and a 350bushel grain box gooseneck. The main reason I need the traction is pulling the 24,000lb. gooseneck out of the muddy fields.
I guess if it was a concern, Ford wouldnt include a locking rear in there towing packages in the new trucks. :confused:

I think the theory is that if you have a locker that locks under high torque, and you have a lot of weight on the rear axle the tires cannot slip to make turns etc so you end up breaking parts. This should not happen with a LS unless it was very, very tight.

Very few light trucks are available from the factory with real lockers, only limited slips. The general public would not tolerate the characteristics of a real locker. This is why Ford's LS's are set so loose from the factory.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so what are the NEW Ford trucks equipped with? When I worked at Ford, I read several window stickers during new car preps that read "Locking differential" so is it a locker, or a limited slip? I guess its possible that its a limited slip that they call "Locking diff" cookoo
I know that my dads 99 PSD has one of these factory "lockers" with 3.73 gears, but sometimes only one wheel spins. (dont ask how I know) :D

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
It has been my experience that you can unload a locker by going around a corner or whatever, then break one wheel loose and keep it broke loose for however long you keep your foot in it or have motor enough to do. Once it slows down enough for the mechanism to lock up, it will and you are back to both wheels turning. The other thing is, with the "loose" clutch packs in todays LS diffs, you can easily slip the clutch pack and defeat the limited slip part. They are set up that way for liabilities. If you have ever driven a spool or welded up differential, turning can become quite the adventure. We had an old willy's jeep that dumped the spiders so we welded it solid. Went like heck in a straight line, but a crew cab super duty with a 25 foot travel trailer probably had a shorter turning radious. It would just "push" straight ahead even thought the wheels were turned as far as the steering locks would allow! :)

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ironman03R said:
Ok, so what are the NEW Ford trucks equipped with? When I worked at Ford, I read several window stickers during new car preps that read "Locking differential" so is it a locker, or a limited slip? I guess its possible that its a limited slip that they call "Locking diff" cookoo
I know that my dads 99 PSD has one of these factory "lockers" with 3.73 gears, but sometimes only one wheel spins. (dont ask how I know) :D

Well my new '02 F350 came with "limited slip". I suspect Ford is now taking liberties with the word "locking". My truck would get stuck on wet grass unless I put it in 4x4.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online