Little extra rattle in 7.3

hagmo92

Reaction score
I went and cracked the injectors still had the noise, must be the main bearings.

91flatbed

Reaction score
I finally found out what my noise was, and I must say i didnt like what i found. I changed out my injectors, bled the lines, fired it up, and a rod came thru the oil pan and the block. All that work, time, and money, shot to hell.:puke: -cuss:puke:-cuss:puke:-cuss

Attachments

• rod thru oilpan.JPG
    rod thru oilpan.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 17
  • rod thru oil pan 2.JPG
    rod thru oil pan 2.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 11

91flatbed

Reaction score
After i got the oil pan off, about a 3 inch chunk of the block fell off, all the way up to the motor mount. Time to start over from scratch. Good thing i kept the old motor out of the truck.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either didnt get torqued or over torqued or the rod bolt was turned and binding when torqued.
Really sucks.

Oh and mains dont knock, rods leave the crank first.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Is it common for idi's to through rods? I have a parts motor that through a rod and I have heard of several cases of rods going through the blocks on these things.

Only one of them was a 6.9 however...

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
After a rebuild it takes a LOT of time to build oil pressure. The oil pump is empty, the oil filter is empty, the oil cooler is empty, the oil passages are empty... A fresh rebuild can be destroyed on the first startup! I pulled the glow plugs on my 7.3 after the rebuild and I cranked it over multiple times before I got oil pressure. Once it got oil throughout the engine it built up over 20 psi just cranking!

Another thing to watch out for is click type torque wrenches. They can go out of calibration. When tightening up my rod nuts, I thought something didn't feel right (calibrated arm :) ) I pulled out my old flex beam torque wrench and found the click type one was out by over 20 ft lbs! :eek: The click type torque wrench can't just be tossed into the tool box after the job. It must be relieved, but stored with some tension on it. Typically 10 -20 ft lbs.

As for going through rods, the engines that I have performed autopsies on were either severely used or abused. These are damn tough engines! I drove my 7.3 for over 300 km after it over heated and blew a head gasket. cookoo It actually cracked the head! I must say I have a lot of respect for these engines. :hail

Too much timing (advance) is also very ******* the wrist pin bushings and rod bearings.

All that being said, it still sucks that your engine threw a rod.

91flatbed

Reaction score
I did use a click type torque wrench. Never crossed my mind to double check with the other wrench. But hey, lessons learned aren`t soon forgotten. I got the motor back out of the truck, and pulled the oil pan. When i got the pan off and got to the rod, it had one bolt in the rod that was broke, look like it had been twisted in two pieces. Not sure what went wrong, but it sure made a mess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online