Limited slip...?

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Alright my new to me '02 PSD's limited slip is non existent. I'm guessing this is just how these superdutys are..? Trying to take off up a paved hill that has some leaves on it is proving challenging, no matter how easy I am. My 88 with an open rear was easier to take off with in slick conditions than this '02.

Anyway, I'm curious of others experiences with super duty (un)limited slip

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy back in Ohio has a s/c short box Super Duty with a 5.4 gasser, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen that truck require the hubs to be locked to take off of an almost zero grade on wet grass. I think it's a combination of very stiff suspension and the typically non-aggressive 6 ply tires that came on these trucks. He did tell me that after he switched tires (BFGs I think) it was much better, but still not as good as an old half ton with worn out rubber :dunno

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Some are good, some not so much.

I put a L/S in my 97 from a 03 truck(guy went to a locker for off road) My truck would ALWAYS spin both tires, weather it was dirt, gravel, grass DRY ASPHALT. Now my brother 03 and 05 SD does a one wheel peal and they are both factory limed slips with under 50k on them. Go figure:dunno

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I figured, case by case basis.

All well, hopefully when the leaves are gone I'll be able to drive again.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Brad,

Dad has a 97 LD -250 (looks like a 150) with a semi-float sterling in the rear and he needs 4x4 to go just about anywhere in slick conditions

My 03 had a full-float sterling and LS and I only need 4x4 when it is bad....

We also have the same tires... Firestone Transforce A/T

sassyrel

Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I figured, case by case basis.

All well, hopefully when the leaves are gone I'll be able to drive again.

time??? get in a shop..pull the axles, take off the rear cover{pan under it}.mark and remove the carrier saddles,pull carrier, put in new clutches and plates. after back together,, id always put one bottle of ford friction modifier in,,depends on how hard the new clutches bite. previous owner may have wore them out......

JRNOLL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard or read somewhere that you have to drag the brakes to get the L\S to hook up.
while starting off gently. It would be worth a try.

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory LS units are spaced way to loose or have way to much friction modifier in them. First step is to change the fluid and add only enough modifier to eliminate the chatter. If that does not work you will need to buy a clutch pack kit and add 3 extra discs to the setup. This is the proven method of fixing the issue.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The factory LS units are spaced way to loose or have way to much friction modifier in them. First step is to change the fluid and add only enough modifier to eliminate the chatter. If that does not work you will need to buy a clutch pack kit and add 3 extra discs to the setup. This is the proven method of fixing the issue.

Even on a new truck?

zpd307

Reaction score

x2! i did this in my 03 and it made a huge difference! ford made them light to appease guys who did not want a postively locking posi....

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
x2! i did this in my 03 and it made a huge difference! ford made them light to appease guys who did not want a postively locking posi....

New clutches or less FM? And what is the point of having L/S if all it does is a one wheel peal. If I wanted that I would of saved 300 and got an open axle

zpd307

Reaction score
oh, new and more plates added. i agree, but i guess some dont like the feel of the posi engaging.... i dont pretend to understand :dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online