lift pump

crazyredneck

Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice on replacing the lift pump. It is my only vehicle I have so I am just going to replace it with the stock mechanical style for now. I'm sure there are some do and don't that go with it. Any advice on the process is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
nate

Reaction score
Make sure you get the orientation of the lift arm correct. When it goes in, point the tip down so the crank lobe hits it on the top side, NOT the bottom side of the arm. You'll know it's right if it kinda fights you since you'll be loading the tension in the spring on the arm.

Mike

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
Don't worry about staying mechanical, some like myself prefer the simplicity of the stock fuel pump.

Try to find a decent one, unfortunately many parts stores are pushing Airtex which is complete garbage.

It's a pretty simple process, you will spill a little diesel, but not a lot.

1) Remove the fuel lines. Plug the rubber line from the tanks to avoid fuel loss from the tanks. (It's a good idea not to have the nose of the truck pointed down as in backed into a steep driveway.) Check the condition of this short rubber hose that connects the fuel supply line to the pump. If it's cracked and/or stiff it's a good time to replace it.

2) Remove the two bolts that hold the pump to the block.

3) Remove the pump paying attention as mentioned above to the position of the lift arm.

4) Clean the surface of the block of old gasket material and sealant.

5) Install new gasket with sealant.

6) Position pump with the arm on the cam lobe. Install bolts.

7) Hook up fuel lines.

8) Start engine and check for leaks.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any time you open up the fuel system for any reason, consider spinning loose the fuel filter. There is no need to remove it. This will prevent the fuel filter from draining, and will make start up much easier.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One small tip since your in for the penny, get the fuel olive for the pump to fuel filter feed line since that line will be disturbed just remove it completely replace the olive at the top of the fuel line at the filter head.

Also this would be a great time to grab a short piece of NEW rubber fuel line and install it between frame outlet and pump inlet. In all likely hood it's near or needing replacement anyway.

So for a couple bucks more you are assured that the work is solid and leak free!

JM2CW

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All the above suggestions are spot on. Just one small correction about the crank lobe.. Its actually the cam lobe we have to make sure the pump arm reaches UNDER the cam and not ride on top of the cam. I'm sure the pump directions will tell you to hand crank the engine till you can see the cam lobe in the correct position so the pump fits correctly. That back bolt on the pump is a tuff one to reach in and thread into the block so do it after the front one is snugged up and it wont be so bad a job. RTV us your gasket friend doing this job too.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Properly locating the pump-arm cam-lobe or should I say rotating the engine oven so the lobe is in the proper position (per install instructions) really makes the lift pump install a breeze.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did mine a few years back on my old SCLB, I put a couple of studs in there to make it easier for me. And since I was in a pinch I had to go with an Airtex but actually had good luck with it. Damn thing still pumps right. Speaking of mechanical pumps, has anyone added an electric pump for priming or filter changing purposes?

Reaction score
Yes, many have. The most popular is the Carrier/Facet pump sold by a member on here. I'm getting ready to install mine this weekend.

Mike

crazyredneck

Reaction score
Hey guys, I greatly appreciated the advice. The lobe was already in the perfect spot when I shut the motor off. I went with a precision brand at oreilly's.

haubert

Reaction score
What's the member name on the carrier facet pumps, I'm looking to do the conversion also just wasn't sure were to buy thanks

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
When I did mine a few years back on my old SCLB, I put a couple of studs in there to make it easier for me. And since I was in a pinch I had to go with an Airtex but actually had good luck with it. Damn thing still pumps right. Speaking of mechanical pumps, has anyone added an electric pump for priming or filter changing purposes?

Yes, that's what I plan on doing to mine, that way I have the benefits of the electric when the system needs to be primed and retain the simplicity and reliability of the mechanical pump.

Just make sure you get a free flow pump so it doesn't interfere with the mechanical:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231008265778?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649