Leveling Ideas/Options

VincentVega

Reaction score
Alright gentlemen. Recently bought new tires for the truck. 255/85/r16 Toyo M/T. Super aggressive and exactly what I wanted. They dont necessarily warrant a lift but I am wanting to level it out a bit just for looks. Truck is a 1989 F350 2WD. I've looked all over the forums and websites and cant seem to find anything. Thanks in advance

Disclaimer: not making an offroad rig, but giving it capability to go down a trail or out into a field if need be. Got stuck once on street tires during a concrete job.. never again.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re not going to find a kit for these style front ends. The issue with lifting the front is the beams move in an arc. Put a jack under the front of the truck to take weight of the wheels. As you lift the truck you will see the wheels get closer to each other, and start to toe out. This is what will happen if you put spacers under your coils or otherwise try to lift the front beyond stock height. The only correct way to lift the front is by making drop brackets for every suspension piece as it connects to the frame. Your best bet is to replace body bushings, front coil springs, pivot bushings, and shocks. With that work done I’ve seen 2-3 inches of clearance gained because of a sagging front end and body.

VincentVega

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the reply. I'll definitly look into that. My truck just turned 200k so I'll probably get back close to that number out of new suspension components

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think @nomufflers leveled his F350 the way Wes described. I looked into it and decided to go the 4wd conversion route as there's no fabricarion and little modification required in order to bolt the axle to the frame.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually @no mufflers completely rebuilt his I beams and made a lift (2"?) with them. Really a cool thread to look through.

I gained a little bit just with body bushings and I'm sure my springs are sagging. Might get you what you want. They do make heavier duty coils too which might help. Just inquire at your alignment shop. Most places don't bother properly aligning these and will just "toe and go". It might take some time to find a shop that does it right but it's better than wasting money doing it over!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes i did a 2'' lift with twin I-beam and comfortably fit 33'' tires

just gotta find the link but feel free to ask questions.

fabrication skills are required.

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/summer-pre-rally-upgrades.77398/

pretty much step by step almost and agreed on finding a proper alignment shop. be alert for the smoke blowers that say oh dont worry when you ask questions. been there before.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think leveling the frontend comes under the category of being a fad just like everything else. Your truck is supposed to be high in the back from the factory, no amount of new bushings and components will ever level it, although it might make it higher in the front if they are worn out.

The rear springs are progressive, thinner curved leafs on top with a very thick heavy flat leaf on the bottom. Unloaded you are riding on the thinner curved leaves, this gives you a better ride empty. As you put weight in the rear of the truck, the thinner springs flatten out against the thicker spring on the bottom, the rear of the truck comes down and it's load carrying ability is increased as the thinner upper springs flatten out against the lower thicker spring. Loaded down, your truck will be close to level.