Least expensive sending unit options

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Do you happen to have any kind of writeup on this conversion?

I agree 100% about pulling the bed......

pretty simple.
1. remove old sending unit
2. put in POWERSTROKE sending unit.
3. splice 2 wires from new sending unit to 2 wires from truck harness
4. done

Did it on my brothers 92/93 F250

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
From what I've read, us 87-89 guys have something different about our sending units that make them unique to those years. I think its the ohm specs.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard that the 87 and up had a different ohm reading, the 80-86 are 10 full 78 empty I think or maybe backwards whereas the 87-91 are a different range. I'm not sure but I'd guess that the 94-97 PSD uses the same values as your truck.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question, I was thinking it was 240-133 range(I think that's right) like the 87-91. I can't remember for sure if that is even the right range for the 87+, but I know that they are different and use higher ohm values than the 86 and earlier.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Im plum fed up with not having a working fuel gauge myself, my 89 fuel gauge works great, but the one on my 86 i might as well not even look at it:puke:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do You have a part # for this? I can't find it nor the chat assistant and I need to re do My sending units.

Thank You.

I will have a look at the very boxes that they came in and let you know.

The write-up is over at Ford Truck Enthusiasts site.

I will dig up a link to it.

Someone just recently posted that link in another fuel-gauge thread, no more than two days ago. ;Really

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
80-86 has one ohm reading and 87-97 has the other. So like I said it is just a matter of spicing the 2 wires. And the have the acuracy of the original stock gauge when they were new, not 25 years old and 200k later

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the 460 out of my '92, and threw in a 6.9. I used the stock EFI sending unit, gutted the high pressure gas fuel pump from it, and used compression fittings to extend the steel tubes to the bottom of the tank.

No suction strainer, but I'd rather have junk plug up outside the tank, where it's easy to get at.

And +1 for removing the bed. If I have to get to my sending unit again, I'm going to cut an access panel into my bed.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
cheapest?
you came to the right guy.

Don't fully pull the bed, just put a cherry picker on the bed just above the bumper and pick up the bed at an angle. Wedge stuff in place so you don't get crushed and do what ya have to do.
As far as fuel level.... just drive 150miles on each tank (or whatever is appropriate for you).

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Well, today as I pulled up to a stoplight, my truck decided to die. got it started by the time it turned green, so I skipped what I was gonna do today and decided to pull the front tank.

I indeed could see how the front sender would come out of the tank still in the truck with little effort. I debated on doing it, but I wanted to look inside the tank for gunk, and pull the skinny hose out of the filler neck so I could actually pump fuel into this thing.

Dropping the front tank took minimal effort, and in less than 15 minutes it was on the ground.

Upon pulling the sending unit, it appeared fully intact.. Why was I getting air at 1/4 tank?? Upon further inspection, I believe the diaphram a little ways up on the shower head is to blame.

You must be registered for see images attach

I had some good fuel line in the toolbox so I measured it up, and cut dimples out of the bottom of it.

Next I removed the hose clamp under the bed holding the filler neck on, and the three small screws by the filler cap and wrestled the filler neck and hose out.

A nice good pull on the black tube popped it out of the filler neck, problem solved. Put everything back together and the truck runs and drives good. I'll be pulling the filler neck out of the rear tank soon and removing the black tube from it as well.

Job wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be, I was done in less than an hour, and I wasn't in any real rush. The back tank looks to be a PITA tho..

Last edited:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Have fun with that rear tank:D they suck! the front tanks are easy, and its very easy to pop the sending unit out of the front one without pulling the tanks, i think i have had mine out about a million times nowcookooLOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online