Are Front and Back tank Fuel Sending Units Interchangeable 1993 Ford F350 7.3 IDI non-turbo

TrueBurner

Reaction score
Hey All,

This is my first post on this forum. Recently got a 1993 F350 7.3 IDI non turbo crew cab. I purchased it and the front tank gauge doesn't work. I ended up purchasing a new/larger back tank that I am going to be putting on that came with a new sending unit (wish me luck). I was wondering before even knowing the problem with the front tank sending unit, if there was a problem with the unit itself, could I use the back tank sending unit and swap it out for the front one? It may be a dumb question to some but like I said I am just getting started on learning and all the help is very much appreciated. Thank you!

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the ohm ratings for the two senders are the same. I bet the difference between the two is the length/shape of the float rod. Maybe you could swap float rods, or bend the existing one into a shape that works.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ohm rating IS the same for both sending units. Otherwise the gauge/system would be wonky.

Having just installed a front tank on mine, recently, I have a bit of experience with this.

The sending unit that I used was from a totally different tank. All I did was to bend the rod, so that it sends correct information.

When you have the tank sitting in front of you, remove the vent. That will leave a hole in the top of the tank that you can look through for the next steps.

1. Lower the sending unit into the opening, until it sits flush, the way it is supposed to sit. And hold it there.

2. Stick a bright flashlight into the filler opening. (Or you could have just laid a bright light inside the tank, to begin.)

3. Looking through the vent hole, you should be able to see where the float is sitting. What you want to do is to bend the rod, until the float sits only a little above the floor of the tank.

4. For the upper reach, you can either estimate. Or you can reach inside with something, and push the float up to it's upper limit. I did kind of a combination of the two for the top. Pushed it up, then estimated how much further it could go, because I couldn't see the top of the tank. Somehow, I got it right.

NOTE!!! When you bend that rod, don't hold onto the sending unit, and use it as leverage to bend the rod. Hold that rod itself, as far up as you can, with some vise grips, and use them, for the leverage to bend the rod. The sending unit is easily damaged. I blew mine completely apart, before I knew what was going on. Luckily I was able to repair it, and lock it all back into place with nylon wire ties. It works, so what can I say? LOL