Fuel Sending Unit Suggestions

Rix_IV

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I need new sending units in both tanks on my 84 F250. The rear one is still working just the fuel gauge always reads empty and the front one does not work at all so I'm running on my rear tank only right now. I just wanted to know what manufacturer makes the most reliable sending units for these trucks. Also any tips you guys have on replacing the sending units is welcome!

Last edited:

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Welcome to OB! If you will fill out the profile about your truck, we can help more readily. The avatar photo looks like an 83-86 slant nose. Those sending units are famous for quitting, both of mine are useless. There was a thread a few years ago by a guy who found new senders with the correct ohm range and I wish I could find it for you and me, too.

The front tank sender can be changed without taking the bed off or the tank out. It helps to remove the driveshaft. The rear tank can be taken out (I have done it), but it is way easier to work on if you remove the bed. 6 or 8 bolts on the bed, 3 screws around each filler cap and a wiring loom to disconnect is all.

Rix_IV

Reaction score
Welcome to OB! If you will fill out the profile about your truck, we can help more readily. The avatar photo looks like an 83-86 slant nose. Those sending units are famous for quitting, both of mine are useless. There was a thread a few years ago by a guy who found new senders with the correct ohm range and I wish I could find it for you and me, too.

The front tank sender can be changed without taking the bed off or the tank out. It helps to remove the driveshaft. The rear tank can be taken out (I have done it), but it is way easier to work on if you remove the bed. 6 or 8 bolts on the bed, 3 screws around each filler cap and a wiring loom to disconnect is all.

Yes it's an 84, I thought I put it on my profile but I'll have to double check! That's good to hear about the front sender as that is the one I'll be replacing first because I want to use both of my tanks. And that doesn't sound bad for the bed removal, I might have to try that out. Thank you for the quick response!

Rix_IV

Reaction score

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Seem to recall the ohm range being different on 85 and 86 trucks. Plug is for sure different on the 85 and 86 trucks from the 83 and 84 trucks.

If you haven't checked yet make sure your floats are good. Both my trucks the brass floats cracked and filled up with fuel.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure your sending units are bad. The signal goes through you fuel switching valve. If the contact in fsv are bad your sending units will not read.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
And that doesn't sound bad for the bed removal, I might have to try that out.
They're not too bed to remove, but don't forget to have some friends around to help with this unless you have another way to pick up the bed.

Rix_IV

Reaction score
Are you sure your sending units are bad. The signal goes through you fuel switching valve. If the contact in fsv are bad your sending units will not read.

I'm not positive, all I know is that when I switch to the front tank I stop getting fuel. Where is the location of the FSV?

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when I switch to the front tank I stop getting fuel

Sounds like FSV failed, to me.

It's on the driver side frame rail behind the cab. Follow the fuel lines and you'll find it. Your view may be obscured by skid plate.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're not too bed to remove, but don't forget to have some friends around to help with this unless you have another way to pick up the bed.

when I removed my bed, I used a Cherry Picker and HF Straps. I first had the 2 straps connected diagonally to each corner, but it wouldn`t lift it up. Then put one connected under ea fender lip and she pulled straight up.
I have one of those tire mounts bolted to the L/F corner.
That was just enough weight to not let her come up straight till I put my tool bag on the opposite corner to balance her. Then set the bed on some saw Horses.

When I put it back on, the HF Straps made me a bit nervous, so I picked one of the metal bed lifters.
Here is an example, too pricy check around for the best price or if you are a welder you can make one.

https://www.redlinestands.com/catal...-327_345_530/innovative-truck-bed-lift-p-1422

This one has the fancy padded pads etc.....

I recommend to put a 2 x 4 piece of wood under the bed lip to spread the lift point.
here is a picture I found similar to what I did.

You must be registered for see images attach

Goat.

Rix_IV

Reaction score
Sounds like FSV failed, to me.

It's on the driver side frame rail behind the cab. Follow the fuel lines and you'll find it. Your view may be obscured by skid plate.

Alright I'll check that out first before I start removing the units. Thanks man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726