Leak around injector.....

Jamie

Reaction score
Finally took the plunge and got a Stanadyne return line install kit. It was super easy to install. I went ahead and cleaned up the valleys on the intake before firing it up for the first time after installing the kit so that it would be easy to spot any leaks. Everything looked good upon inspection while at idle except for one thing. The injector behind the furthest one ahead on the driver side was clearly leaking. It was kind of bubbling from where it meets the head.

My question, what is the best way to fix this? I did attempt to snug it down, to no avail. Shall I install a new copper washer?

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
new copper washer time-cuss
you have compression gasses leaking through.
be very nice to the plastic pieces and the rubber o-rings. if you haven't gotten the motor warmed up yet, you might get lucky and be able to reuse them.:eek:

Jamie

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Stupid question time.... Will this leak also cause a loss of prime in the fuel system? Unfrotunately I did run the truck for quite some time after yesterdays operation so I am reluctant to disturb and reuse these o-rings. When starting this a.m., there was clearly air in the system, even after installing new return lines, caps, and O-rings

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There will be some air in it but as long as your filter is full the truck should fire. You might have to rev it as its cranking and then just work the air out. This truck I have now is the easiest priming truck I have ever had.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Stupid question time.... Will this leak also cause a loss of prime in the fuel system?
No.
you still have problems elsewhere.
The bubbling issue is more like a loose spark plug. It affects your cylinder compression more. One word of caution, your injector hole may be carboned up and you may have an injector come apart on you when you disassemble it.
Be prepared with a replacement injector and a brush to clean out the carbon before you start this job. check the Snap-on cataloge for the brush and see if you can come up with a likeness of it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A 12 gauge shotgun wire bore brush works fine cleaning out the injector bore. As posted, be careful getting out the complete injector and the seat area in the head should be cleaned also. Usually the head is ok but it can be cut by the hot exhaust gas blowing by the cut copper washer. Check it closely with something sharp and pointed like an ice pick. Just drag it around the seat in the head. If it catches in a groove then you need the famous seat cleaner tool. I have two of then but one is out with a member at the moment. Let me know if you need to borrow one and I'll ship it to you.

Jamie

Reaction score
Thanks for the help!! Nextly can somebody outline what size socket and or other tools I may need to remove the old injector? Besides the brushes of course.....

Jamie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7