Leaf spring bushings....

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I went to install the new pivot bushings, I could not get them pounded in there. What I had to do was get some all thread, and some large washers and a metal cup, run the all thread through everything and then squeeze the new bushings in place by tightening the nuts on the all thread.

You can make a "cup" by using pieces from a balljoint press kit if you have one. Or if you happen to have a really large socket. The ID has to be large enough to let the bushing stick through.
Soooo when I do those pivot bushings do you have to pull the axle shafts out? Or will the I beam come down far enough?

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soooo when I do those pivot bushings do you have to pull the axle shafts out? Or will the I beam come down far enough?
I just did mine on a lift, axle shafts in, supported on the frame, and we had to pry with a 5ft bar to move the passenger side down far enough. For the diff on the driver's side, we placed a stand with a floor jack on it to support the weight, and still had to pry it out of the mount. Did need the jack to get it back up though!

So I am certain it can be done if you have it on a lift and some man power.

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did mine on a lift, axle shafts in, supported on the frame, and we had to pry with a 5ft bar to move the passenger side down far enough. For the diff on the driver's side, we placed a stand with a floor jack on it to support the weight, and still had to pry it out of the mount. Did need the jack to get it back up though!

So I am certain it can be done if you have it on a lift and some man power.
Cool man thanks!

Ray Packer

Reaction score
Have a 1993 7.3 IDI turbo. Experience w/bushing replacement is from Pontiac Fiero.....yep, that's whatI said. I tried drilling holes in rubber bushings to remove. Ended up heating/burning w/propane torch. They will swell like a marshmallow and when pushed will actually shoot out. Make sure not in line of fire. Poly bushings were easier to push in after they spent a while in the freezer to slightly shrink. Sent from my Android phone while sitting on the "can" .

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I did mine without taking the frontend out also. Had to put a jack on the axle to pull it down out of the way to get the bushings in place. And then getting the bolt lined up was a nightmare, those ttb arms fight you the whole way. But it is doable.

264WSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Poly - buy/install once = cry once
If you have the time, put the bushings in the freezer for 2 days before install. Also, cooking oil is your friend. I still have bushings for my Western Star in the freezer. Someday I will get around to installing them in my spare dog bone rods.

Is this on the Blue Beast??

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Hmmm.... I've put maybe 10k on my springs and I cant change the shackle like I wanted because the bolt is seized in the sleeve. (even with antiseize). Not sure poly would make any difference there.

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Poly - buy/install once = cry once
If you have the time, put the bushings in the freezer for 2 days before install. Also, cooking oil is your friend. I still have bushings for my Western Star in the freezer. Someday I will get around to installing them in my spare dog bone rods.

Is this on the Blue Beast??
Yes sir! Blue bell is gonna have a new front end under it soon. I need to do the pivot bushing soon tho.. but she’s running great!

264WSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you got new life into her. This 4 door is still calling your name!! Blue Bell wants a longer sister!