Laundry list of E4OD codes..

DeadMan

Reaction score
I think I have burned up my trans the other day.. Rolled up to a stop, when the light changed I hit the throttle,.. and nothing. Oh, the engine revved, but very little movement ( I had to lock it in four low to get it to the shoulder).

So, now no forward gears, no reverse. I'm thinking I'll order a trans but a friend tries to convince me the control module is bad (its an electronic trans after all, why not try to pull codes?)

I ended up pulling a half dozen codes. But I have yet to find a list to tell me what those codes mean.. Any of you have a link that explains these?

Thanks!

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have a bad module, but I don't know much about the electronic controls, all mine are "row-your-own". I do think there is a strong possibility that you now have a bad torque converter though. Most of the time an Automatic will drop one or two gears, not everything at once. (From what little experience I have, that is.)

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
List the code numbers here you pulled, the whole list is too long to post. Ya don't say what tranny, but assume it's a E4OD. If the module (EEC IV) went out, it will still go into what is called limp mode, you would still have 2nd and reverse, so something else went Kapoo. Can't be the TC if you moved at all. Locking it in 4 Lo, your useing only the front axle, so that tells me from the transfer case back something failed.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I think I have burned up my trans the other day.. Rolled up to a stop, when the light changed I hit the throttle,.. and nothing. Oh, the engine revved, but very little movement ( I had to lock it in four low to get it to the shoulder).

So, now no forward gears, no reverse. I'm thinking I'll order a trans but a friend tries to convince me the control module is bad (its an electronic trans after all, why not try to pull codes?)

I ended up pulling a half dozen codes. But I have yet to find a list to tell me what those codes mean.. Any of you have a link that explains these?

Thanks!

Definitely not a TCM issue. It could have started there. Need the codes.

Minimal or no movement in any gear.. Most likely the converter or pump has died.

Post your laundry list of codes.

You could drop the tranny pan to see if there is any interesting stuff swimming in there. Black stuff is burnt clutch. Silver or gold metallic is bushings.

DeadMan

Reaction score
Locking it in 4 Lo, your using only the front axle, so that tells me from the transfer case back something failed.

No, I didn't lock in the front hubs... only did that to get a lower range.

Minimal or no movement in any gear.. Most likely the converter or pump has died.

This is what I figured.

You could drop the tranny pan to see if there is any interesting stuff swimming in there. Black stuff is burnt clutch. Silver or gold metallic is bushings.

Yes, I found a large furry silver monster around the magnet. :/

As for the codes:

Thanks for all the posts guys! I appreciate you taking the time!
Ron

Btw: all the codes were pulled with engine off.. (don't know if that makes a difference)

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Btw: all the codes were pulled with engine off.. (don't know if that makes a difference)

Engine off is OK, but the go peddle has to be floored when pulling codes for correct reading.

DeadMan

Reaction score
Engine off is OK, but the go peddle has to be floored when pulling codes for correct reading.

Oh.. Ok, didn't know about the peddle to the floor... guess I will head over to the shop tomorrow and pull codes again..

Thanks again for the info!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the codes:

Some codes will only show with the engine running, others mean slightly different things depending on whether they are generated with engine on or off. Regardless, here we go:

#13 = "idle RPM out of range (low)". No clue why you'd get this with a diesel, the TCM does not control engine speed in any way. Just to be safe verify TPS voltage between 1.0 and 1.2V at idle.

#14 = "engine RPM sensor circuit fault". Does your tach work properly?

#23 = "TPS signal out of range". If you didn't hold the throttle to the floor that'll do it. Put a few bricks on the throttle pedal and rerun the test, bet code will go away.

#29 = "insufficient input from VSS or PSOM". Does your speedometer work properly? Any issues with cruise control or ABS?

#47 = "4x4 switch closed". Bet you still had the transfer case in 4lo when you pulled codes, didn't you?

#62 = "torque converter clutch failure". In reality it means transmission output shaft is turning at 50 rpms or more slower than expected when converter lockup command has been issued by the TCM. Could be caused by a slip in any clutch that's supposed to be holding in 3rd or OD - the E4OD has no converter turbine speed sensor so it cannot distinguish between actual lockup clutch failure or a slip in any of the other clutches.

The code descriptions are directly from my code reader manual. IMHO the only code that points to actual transmission failure is #62 - everything else deals with TCM input devices and not the transmission itself. Still, the silver monster flower on the magnet does indicate excessive internal wear somewhere.

jasonhughes

Reaction score
Check the harness from pcm all the way to the module. Check all connectors. I can send you a new module I've got lying around for the cost of shipping if you need it

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
This happened to me, his exact thing. The cooler line self destructed and drained most of the fluid, causing a bad trans short after

DeadMan

Reaction score
Some codes will only show with the engine running, others mean slightly different things depending on whether they are generated with engine on or off. Regardless, here we go:

#13 = "idle RPM out of range (low)". No clue why you'd get this with a diesel, the TCM does not control engine speed in any way. Just to be safe verify TPS voltage between 1.0 and 1.2V at idle.

Yeah... I don't get that one either.

#14 = "engine RPM sensor circuit fault". Does your tach work properly?

Anything under 800 rpm tach falls to 0.

#23 = "TPS signal out of range". If you didn't hold the throttle to the floor that'll do it. Put a few bricks on the throttle pedal and rerun the test, bet code will go away.

Will retest tomorrow.

#29 = "insufficient input from VSS or PSOM". Does your speedometer work properly? Any issues with cruise control or ABS?

No problems there.. Is the tach signal tied into this?

#47 = "4x4 switch closed". Bet you still had the transfer case in 4lo when you pulled codes, didn't you?

Guilty as charged. But in the list of codes, that one was thrown twice.. Once early, once late in the list. Does that mean anything?

#62 = "torque converter clutch failure". In reality it means transmission output shaft is turning at 50 rpms or more slower than expected when converter lockup command has been issued by the TCM. Could be caused by a slip in any clutch that's supposed to be holding in 3rd or OD - the E4OD has no converter turbine speed sensor so it cannot distinguish between actual lockup clutch failure or a slip in any of the other clutches.

The code descriptions are directly from my code reader manual. IMHO the only code that points to actual transmission failure is #62 - everything else deals with TCM input devices and not the transmission itself. Still, the silver monster flower on the magnet does indicate excessive internal wear somewhere.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a new tach sensor it seems. It will fix the tach reading and get rid of code #14 and likely #13. As a temporary fix bump the idle up to like 900 rpms.

Before you retest put truck back in 2wd. The code appearing twice is no big deal, first time is during the current test and the second is from the computer's memory. What code reader are you using, does it show you if the code is KOEO or continuous memory? When you retest in 2wd the first instance (KOEO) of the code will go away, but the second instance (memory) may still be present - you'll have to manually erase the memory to get rid of that one, your code reader will say how to do that in the manual.

The VSS is a puzzle, AFAIK tach is separate from the PSOM. Fix tach first, see where that gets you.