knob on board

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
first post in a new new group.....diesel. Never owned a diesel truck before only drove tractors and such (farm boy). WOW theres lots to learn. Ive been reading thru some of the faq sections, also looking for some mods for the "new to me" truck. I will pick it up today its a 91f350 with 39k mile IH under the hood, non turbo :rolleyes: A couple of things I'm thinking about to start with is some type of intake and exhaust. I don't see any listings on websites for intakes, seems they all start about 94+, any recommendations or should I just make up something from another year that fits??? also exhaust is 4" too big for non turbo??? From what Ive read those two mods are worth between 36hp and 50hp.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No modification will make the near the power that a turbo will. I wouldn't fool with a bigger intake and exhaust unless you are absolutely sure you will never add a turbo, since both those parts would be changed when adding the turbo.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very true Roboto... I have a car little grand am with a SC on it and boy what a difference vs my buddies N/A car. Both have same 3800cc engine, his tweaked the same as mine but full second slower without the power adder...

You know, the more I search I don't see an intercooler option for the older non turbo models... I wonder if its because of radiator to grill clearance... I don't like turbos w/o a way to cool off the hot air.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Very true Roboto... I have a car little grand am with a SC on it and boy what a difference vs my buddies N/A car. Both have same 3800cc engine, his tweaked the same as mine but full second slower without the power adder...

You know, the more I search I don't see an intercooler option for the older non turbo models... I wonder if its because of radiator to grill clearance... I don't like turbos w/o a way to cool off the hot air.

Both Hypermax and ATS offer an intercooler, or if your cheap you can pick up a used stock second gen 7.3 psd intercooler and fab it up to fit. If you can do some fab work, then you could always fab up a turbo system for one of these trucks, its been done before.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've collected some data that your post just reminded me needs to be converted into a tech article. I've just posted it here. Hopefully I'll get around to editing it into a cleaner read. Welcome to the site, and the "hobby". :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
440wagon

Staff online