Keep it or replace it?

CarrollShelby8

Reaction score
Hey guys I've had a few gas Fords in my life and my current truck is a '97 HD 5.8L with 255k. Its a work truck and a daily driver. There's a bunch of work it needs, probably uses/leaks a quart of oil a month depending on how much I drive. I was thinking about replacing it with a 1990 7.3 NA IDI with a little bit of work done to it, but still needs a few things. I have no problem with mechanical work, but never owned a diesel before.

Everything I've read about the NA 7.3 is good, except its slow. Its a work truck, so I don't need to be fast, but will I hate the difference? Sometimes I trailer cars around, but that's about it. Its probably overkill for my towing needs, but I was more thinking of the reliability factor. I'm also a fireman, so I need to get to work in the worst weather without fail.

How much more life can I really expect to get out of the 5.8? Anyone ever owned both? Preferences?

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I have both

The truck in my sig is my daily driver, better mileage (even w/o OD), and I don't have to worry about how hard a beating it's taking with the weight behind it.
I'd say buy a complete truck, it's going to be some work to get the engine to not **** off your truck's electonics, and you'll need the trans as well, easily doable, but not something you want to do if you've never had one.

Your oil consumption could easily stay the same with a completely rebuilt IDI. LOL

CarrollShelby8

Reaction score
These are totally separate trucks, both need body work, suspension work, etc. Basically they show their age. What truck do you prefer as a daily driver or a worker? Will I notice a huge difference between the 5.8 and the 7.3? Both trucks are just single cab 4X4s too.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drive mine on a daily basis

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
These are totally separate trucks, both need body work, suspension work, etc. Basically they show their age. What truck do you prefer as a daily driver or a worker? Will I notice a huge difference between the 5.8 and the 7.3? Both trucks are just single cab 4X4s too.

I prefer my IDI in both cases.
The 351 is better in traffic IMHO.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the swap, but if the truck is driveable, you should drive it a few days to make sure you know what you are getting into. They are not for everybody.
If I were to do a swap, I'd make sure what I was putting the IDI into had a 4.11 rear.

CarrollShelby8

Reaction score
How about 3.73 gears? Sometimes I drive in traffic, sometimes in the city, sometimes wide open highway. Its really a little bit of everything. I'm happy with the 5.8 truck, I was just thinking longevity. Should you even bother with a 7.3 that has been taken apart too? Previous owner did some head work and replaced all gaskets and such. He has only owned the truck for 1.5 years and didn't use any coolant additives.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if that is a 1990 the front axle shoudl not have Balljoints , it shoudl be kingpin style. but 3.73s were not an option on the trukc either so it has been modified................ maybe for the better/maybe not. the 7.3 idi will prob go 2-3 times as long as a 5.8 in the same truck, if towing is involved. I don't hate the 5.8 but it has its place> in an F150 . I got a 1988 F250 supercab 2wd for my dad 2 yrs ago in all original condition, only 105,000 km and we got it for $1200 Canadian. needed 2 light bulbs for the commercial and DOT safety. it had such low mileage because it can't pull *****. it is scary slow . my high mileage 7.3 powerstroke van can pull circles around it. it will last a long time but will never get many miles put on it because it is slow> it gets there but gettign up to 50mph is a chore.

you will love the effortless towing you will get with the 7.3 idi, and when you are empty you can shift at 1500rpm and save yourself a pile on fuel compared to the 5.8.