Just ordered new suspension all the way around

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to be replacing and upgrading my suspension to accommodate this huge fuel tank I've installed. It weighs about 400~1900 lbs depending on how much fuel I've got on board. and it sits directly in the back behind the cab where everyone else puts bed tanks. So I thought it best to upgrade my suspension since its sagging unevenly anyway.

Any tips on getting all these new springs under there without killing myself ;-)

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you replacing them with factory springs? Please take before and after pictures, I need to do this soon as well.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Smoke wrench lol, I don't even try to get spring eye bolts out I just cut them with a sawzall or angle grinder. A press is very handy to if you need to press in or out any bushings.

A good set of jack stands that can reach the frame with NO cinderblocks is very helpful to.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a wood shop, so I was just going to use lumbar to hold up the vehicle while I work on it. Dunnage stacks all around. I used dunnage a lot when I did the brakes and front end works like a charm and its really stable, even more so that jack stands, and there's nothing to cut loose and fall. So its about as safe as can be.

and yes I typically just cut off old bolts, there's really no use in trying to save them, its just a mater of not damaging anything I'm saving.

Just got the parts about an hour ago. Looks like I forgot the rear shackle sets. Although I'd have sworn I'd ordered it. If not I guess I'll go take a look at whats back there now and see just how bad it really is, but I tend to just replace everything when I do stuff like this.

Cheers
B

oh and I ordered from suspension king and it was the heavy duty springs, just under max I could put under it.

fronts are these
http://thesuspensionking.com/catalo...ucts_id=238&osCsid=4du76f2tdpfc8knnf29qdhou67

backs are these
http://thesuspensionking.com/catalo...ucts_id=242&osCsid=4du76f2tdpfc8knnf29qdhou67

I guess I could have gone with the extreme heavy duty on the back but I didn't want a super stiff ride, and I'm pretty conscientious about how much weight I've got back there.

My logic was that the rear springs will hold 3000 each for a total of 6000. If the truck weighs about 7000 total with more than 50% of that on the front, so I'll call it 3000 on the rear axle, which should leave me 3000 left over. I should be able to carry a full tank of fuel 1900 lbs plus hook up the trailer, and leave home working those springs at just about there limit. Gets lighter as I burn off fuel. Typically I don't have a trailer or full load of fuel tho so I should be good to go, as long as I don't do any four wheeling with everything on board. Or at least I hope I figured that out right .

Anyway thats what I'm doing and what I'm putting under it

looks like I did order and pay for the rear shackle sets, $126 for the pair. But they are not on the packing slip. Hmmmmm, and no answer down at suspension king. I'll try again tomorrow as it might be past business hours for them.

Ok found the missing box of stuff on the porch so, order received, and now to check and see if everything fits.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You're going to find that bed tank puts a good portion of it's weight on the steer axle, which is actually rather nice, at least with my crew cab, I find it rather hard to get weight up there, it all wants to go to the drivers , so the bed tank weight takes some of teh bounce out when pulling the 5er or my car hauler on concrete interstates