Just how important is GVWR in these old trucks..?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys..

So my plans for my '90 F350 have changed and now my wife and I are planning on building a part time expedition rig out of it. We will be starting on building the camper soon (it will be a lift off cab over type that will be mounted to the flatbed and can be removed easily when not in use).

My concern at the moment is the GVWR on the door tag is only 9200lb which seems pretty low to me. The truck scales around 7k depending on how much fuel is on board.

The camper will be between 2-3k dry.. probably closer to 3-4k loaded.. so well over 10k total weight on the truck.

How worried should I be?

The truck is rolling on 37" military take-offs (Baja TAs) e rated at over 4200# each.. so no worries about tires. Does have rear overloads... will be regeared to 4.88s and may add airbags to the rear just to help the rear springs.

What do you guys think?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the weight itself wouldn't be an issue but I would be a little weary about driving with that much weight on the top of such a tall truck

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the weight itself wouldn't be an issue but I would be a little weary about driving with that much weight on the top of such a tall truck

Most of the weight will be down low (floor height) such as water tanks, appliances, generator, batteries, etc... Only weight up high will be the sleep area which won't be much. Not much different then putting a pallet on the flatbed.

Pullet

Reaction score
I've had 2 '90 f250s, I've had >2-4k# in each of them often and with no problems, my only worry for you would be that the legality says the lowest rating is what they'll base fines on if enforcers start looking: lowest of registration, door tag, or any other posted limits...
Just don't give them reason.
My door tag is missing, not sure if previous owner was also worried about this issue or what.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, especially if you get into an accident and you are over your GVWR then youre in the doodoo, the truck will handle it just fine other than with 37s your stopping ability may be compromised, maybe look into a hydroboost conversion.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you get into an accident and you are over your GVWR then youre in the doodoo,
This is where the **** gets into the punch bowl and ruins the party. Insurance company will void your policy and you're left holding the heavy burden of liability.

This would be my only concern.

Heath

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm.. well looks like I'll need to do some digging.

We scaled my buddy's 93 extended cab on 37s and it rolled across at 7200#.

Now mine is a crew cab but has a flat bed... so I'd say weight would be comparable.

If I keep dry weight close to 2k... worst comes to worst... dump the water tanks if a legality issue arises.

Wont be giving them a reason to stop me and brakes and such will be up to *****. Rear axle is fully rebuilt with fresh brakes.. front will be before the camper goes on. Possibly an engine brake in the future too...

I'm curious how these big RV companies that build drop ins for trucks get away with it... I've seen plenty heavy on the bumps driving down the road.. then again, I guess it's because they've never been stopped.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now, the front has Raybestos Pro rotors and Wagner severe duty pads which are new.. The rear that is getting ready to go in has 3" drums and shoes (both raybestos pro) and dually 1.25" wheel cylinders for a bit more push. I'll be upgrading to hydroboost as well and will more then likely be deleting the RABS unit and running an adjustable proportioning valve that can be dialed in for more stopping from the rear when the camper is on the truck.

Not sure about running an aggressive pad on the front as they tend to heat up faster. I run Hawk HPS pads on my street car and I can get the rotors glowing pretty easily.. Not so sure about running them on something this heavy. Lol

I've got a build thread going on the truck... but will need to change the title since now we are planning to use it for an expedition rig too.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious how these big RV companies that build drop ins for trucks get away with it... I've seen plenty heavy on the bumps driving down the road.. then again, I guess it's because they've never been stopped.

CAUTION........you are entering THE BIG LIE. :O

There has never been so much criminality openly involved in any industry like the RV manufacturing and sales industry. The attitude is the CONSUMER is responsible for knowing what is legal weight and what isn't on their vehicles. I've done many post accident investigations where the consumer is happily bopping along with a 25' bumper pull trailer hooked to a Jeep Grand Cherokee or a 10' slide in tied down to a F150. In short, the manufacturer doesn't know what the product they're making is going to be used by, nor does the retailer care as long as it gets off their lot.
To answer the OP's question, just about every slide-in camper that is not a "pop up" style, is going to be overweight. How bad? you be the judge...... 1989 GMC 1 ton 2wd, 6bt, 4L80E, crew cab with dually rear......13k/lbs gross. 2005 Ford F250, 6.0v-8, 5R110 trans, 3.73 SRW rear, crew cab......12k gross.
neither vehicle squated, had the overload springs and airbags.
so... the question is, is overweight trully a state of mind ? :D

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose I'm more concerned with longevity then legality. I don't want to be eating wheel bearings and breaking springs... Getting stuck on the side of the road in BFE.. etc.

Truck will basically be rebuilt, other than the body, using quality parts front to back. I just want the rig to last.

Pullet

Reaction score
I bought my first f250 in 2012, and it'd been driven hard and put away wet (figuratively, bought in CA) for 22 years before I got it. Moved cross country with it and then delivered tons of grain with it, a couple tons at a time.
Did that every couple weeks for a year until I traded it towards my current truck, which has done the same work and some towing (200bu grain wagons mostly). No weight-caused problems with either truck unless maybe too much engine braking with many tons pushing me scragged my (zf5) transmission, which has recently (since) been swapped.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time to sell the F350 imo.Say your goodbyes and tell her you love her.It's time to move on.Life changes and so have your needs in a truck.

It's time for an F-Super Duty! AKA F-450!
It's the correct and real foundation you now require!

The F-Super Duty 1987-97 (the original super duty prior to '99 pickups) was Fords introduction of the class 4 medium duty truck. It was a commercial cab & chassis 2WD dually only optioned truck.They came with 460 gas engines all through the production run, with the optional 7.3l idi diesel engine from introduction through '94,then the optional 7.3l di (power stroke) diesel from '94.5 - '97.
Known at the time as the "One Ton Plus." It sports a HD frame,the hydroboost brake system w/ 4 wheel disc brakes.Though they are 2WD trucks,they are equipped with 4WD transmissions but,rather than a transfer case,they come with a drive line parking brake. A HD dana 80 rear axle that came from ford with gear ratio options intended for two purposes; heavy hauling & towing.They came in various wheelbase lengths with up to a 15,000 LB GVWR.It's widely known as the F-450 equivalent with many auto stores listing parts under either name.
These trucks are easy to spot with their pickup size cabs,yet unique F-Super Duty fender emblems & 10 lug wheels.
axle code 72 = 4.63
axle code 73 = 5.13 (most common and what log truck has)
axle code G3 = 4.30LS (rare)

That's what you need.Then you can build your camper and haul her around safe,sound and what's most important when your trying to get away?
Relaxation! You don't want concerns that you don't have enough truck.You want to be worry free knowing you have more than enough.
You get your 4 wheel disc brakes.
You get your hydroboost brakes.
You get your DRW to take the load with ease.
You get your payload worry free with some to spare.
You get to stay with an IDI you have come to love.
You get the low gears your after.
It's F450 time baby!:D

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online