Just bought my first diesel !!! Intro + a IP question.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody. I have been lurking around here for awhile. I just bought a 84 F250 6.9 4sp 4x4. It is bone stock down to the steel rims exept the previous owner put a hypermax turbo kit on it so its got some extra power goin on. I love it. I have been working on cars since I was 14 and even did it professionally for about 6 years. When it comes to diesels I dont know my way around the specifics but understand the basics.

My first task is an IP change. I have been searching around on the site and found most of the info I was looking for exept how to static time the IP. Even my shop manual says line up the mark then take it to a shop. that wont work for me.... Looking at the pump from the front facing the rear of the truck what way advances/retards it? Any other tips for timing by ear? I am a muscle car guy and all I do with all my cars is fine tune by trial and error.

Also I can be contacted if you have any mustang or Jaguar/Volkswagen(what I used to work on) questions.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I assume you've found the fuel system servicing article in our tech articles section (and in my sig below). Where are you located? Your best bet is to get together with somebody who has a meter. Timing by ear is not going to give you 8.5 degrees BTDC at 2000 RPM unless your extremely lucky. Unlike a gasser where you can just keep cranking on it until it pings, too much advance on one of these engines will eat your glow plugs.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
welcome aboard...

As Mel said timing by ear is not really recommended but I've been known to do it a time or two on The Enterprise (my last truck). You can get pretty darn close but you have to play with them a while.

Ok for your question on which way advances and retards...

tip the pump towards the passengers side to advance and tip the top towards the driver to retard it....

How I have done it in the past (which I don't recommend) is to warm the truck up then take it for a drive... when your above 2k rpms rolling down the road you don't want to hear an extra pings you keep advancing a slight bit until you hear these then back off just a smidgen... when I have done this in the past then taken it in for professional timing they have come back and said that it was correct or close enough that they didn't mess with it. But as you know from working on engines you sort of need to know what they are supposed to sound like before you go twisting the old pump around. Another sign that you have it too far advanced is if you see added black smoke upon accel that wasn't there before... white colored smoke or grey as some would call it is an indication of retarded timing.

yes black smoke is normal under accel or working it hard but there is a point on a stock truck that will indicate advanced timing.

the reason for doing the check with the engine warm is so that the timing advance is not engaged which would offset your results...

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in Virgina Beach on most weekends and in Fredericksburg, VA during the work week. I am working on getting a diesel tach/meter to time but I am confident I can get it close for now. I just need to know which way to turn the pump for what.

That looks like a good article, I will read it.

Love the Moose truck by the way!! Looks like mine. The bronco is sweet too, I just sold my 78 Broncoi built from the ground up, swaped 460, C6, NP205, 456's, 6 in susp, 35 boggers. Ever since I bought this 84 I was thinking how cool it would be to do an idi in a bronco.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that case you are right, rotate to drivers side to retard timing and pass. side to advance. Does the turbo already have the pyrometer and boost gauge? If so you will want to turn up your new IP. If you really feel like giving it some extra power, a pump from here might be something to look at as long as you are replacing it. www. dps-performance.com Its a modified DB2 pump which has gotten mostly positive reviews here. BTW, if you dopn't have a pyrometer or boost gauge you should have both with a modified truck,
Welcome aboard,
J.D.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've gone railfanning in Doswell and Ashland a time or two on Saturdays just for fun. If I can get to Richmond in a few hours, it might be worth the effort to come to Moose Valley and let me time it for you.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be worth the trip just to drink a few and talk diesel and check out the trucks... but maybe when it warms up!! I hate this cold weather. If I cant get it right i might come up, appreciate the offer. Delta is about 3~3.5 hours from F-burg.