Just Asking

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
obinella - that's fine that you like to stuff engines in things that were never offered like that from the factory, as long as I'm allowed to only like engines stuffed into places where they were offered from the factory. One of the things that I like about thought pattern is that I can normally get mine serviced just about anywhere at anytime. Trust me I have stuffed engines in vehicles that never came with said engine but as I get older my tastes have changed. What I have found is if you do something like this then you pretty much need to just slate said vehicle as a back up or show vehicle because using it as a daily driver will cause headaches later when you need to do those and go looking for parts... I guess the biggest thing that spurs this type of thinking is what I do for a living - when machines are changed from their original design it make it harder for the next shift to troubleshoot problems because suddenly it does not match what the prints or diagrams show...

Guess I'm wrong huh... Oh well won't be the first time and I'm pretty darn sure it won't be the last...

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guntherx said:
OK hold your guns. :draw

How hard is it to put an '03 5.9 Cummins in, and how much would it cost? Will it put out some power?

Check out my website... http://www.cummins-conversion.com.

Lots of good info there on this subject... and others... as well as a non-biased, honest assessment of products, etc. to do the job.

There are a couple shops that do the swaps... mentioned on the site.

Personally, I'd considered adding a Cummins to the truck I just sold ('91 F-350 dually). The swap to a newer Cummins into a Ford has been done... There's an '06 F-550, I believe, that's been given an '05 Cummins and is tearing up the roads in California. Ungodly performance.

It takes money to do the swap. Especially if you're going with new stuff. I was over $12k to do a swap to an '05 motor and an NV 5600 transmission. Shop (Auto World of Montana) would do the labor.

Came down to investing that kind of money into my '91... felt it was time for a body change so elected to stick with the IDI awhile longer and eventually order an '06 Ram.

Mike

Last edited:

obinella

Reaction score
argve said:
Guess I'm wrong huh... Oh well won't be the first time and I'm pretty darn sure it won't be the last...
nope, never once said that you were wrong. if i left that impression, my apologies. as a mater of fact i agree with you, if one doesn't have the abilities to do the swap his or her self,(notice I'm trying to stay out of trouble here) and has to have it repaired or serviced by a shop, then by all means he or she should avoid any thing that is considered non standard. there are shops that like working on non standard stuff and are probably less expensive than the stealerships. but like you inferred, and rightly so, its not going to help you when you break a custom part in bfe.

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys Guys take it EEEEasy!!! I have come into some money and am just trying to determine ALL of my options. I don't want to just spend the money on a new truck, and i ACTUALLY LIKE MY TRUCK. You'all know that I am after more power. I am too impatient to see all of these SW go by while my dually is crawling up the hill. I have driven too many big HP engines in semis and am spoiled I guess. Hearing $12K for a conv. rules it out immediately. I really want to do the turbo, but I want to be fairly sure that it is a decent power improvement for the Money. I can puul about anything around with my truck now, j u s t s l o w

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put that engine in that truck and drive the wheels off of it.

It is the best move I have made in years.

I have experienced dramatic gains in power, mileage, and drivability, all for less money than the parts to rebuild my old International.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Give me the money and then you won't have to make any decisions! :rotflmao

My stage 1 injectors should be shipping this week :D

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Guntherx said:
I can puul about anything around with my truck now, j u s t s l o w

Well, after you add the turbo, you'll be able to pull anything faster than you did before.

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm Laughing too

pafixitman said:
Give me the money and then you won't have to make any decisions! :rotflmao

My stage 1 injectors should be shipping this week :D
cookoo OK come take a look at my turbo and tell me if it is OK to install. If so, we'll have a party.