Just Asking

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK hold your guns. :draw

How hard is it to put an '03 5.9 Cummins in, and how much would it cost? Will it put out some power?

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
apextrans said:
Oh man, from a turbo install to this? :popcorn
:rotflmao

ok.....first off....i have no idea what it would take specifically....but just from what i know about engine swaps in general (especially putting new tech into old tech)....youd have to completly rewire the truck, fabricate or purchase motor and tranny mounts, prolly have to cut driveshaft to match length of new tranny, prolly have to put a bodylift kit on it because of space issues/stuff clearing firewall. you doing all the work......a month of sundays.......someone else doing all the work........half a month of sundays and prolly about as much as u pay for the CUMmings.

im no expert, im not you, but i wouldnt take this project on less i had to. these trucks are great at what they do, last a hellva long time doing it, but they aint tire roasting drag strip trucks...... and any attempt to make them so is unworthwhile in my opinion. im going to try as much as the next guy to get as much out of the engine as i can, but you can only polish #$%& so shinny.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*SWONK* for thinking about it :D

If you REALLY wanted a Cummins, I'd go the 12 valve route (specifically, a '94-'98 with the P7100 pump). With some BOMBing, you can get more power than a stock common-rail will put out, and this way, you don't have to deal with electronics.

You would need engine mount adapters (can either buy or fabricate), a tranny adapter (unless you put an NV4500/5600 in, in which case you'd have to deal with driveshaft and crossmember issues), and some way to handle the coolant connections. There's also wiring issues with the alternator, and plumbing with the power steering pump and the a/c compressor (assuming you want to keep the a/c). Beyond that, I don't think there's all that much to it...having never done this, I can't comment with any authority, though...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guntherx said:
OK hold your guns. :draw

How hard is it to put an '03 5.9 Cummins in, and how much would it cost? Will it put out some power?
If you want the electrical nightmares, google up salvage yards that carry complete conversions. Personally, with your disatisfaction over the NA IDI and the desire for a "ironclad" gaurantee for barn burning performance *if* you put the turbo on, I think its time you start looking for a new PSD or Dodge or GM. Go do it. There's no sense in holding back if you're not happy with your current ride.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
towcat said:
Personally, with your disatisfaction over the NA IDI and the desire for a "ironclad" gaurantee for barn burning performance *if* you put the turbo on, I think its time you start looking for a new PSD or Dodge or GM. Go do it. There's no sense in holding back if you're not happy with your current ride.

Ouch!! He did say hold your guns & the title is" just asking" :D I guess it was a smart move, when I asked this same question, to do it in the Dodge forum. Of course, everybody that replied was from the "basement". Wasn't as brutal though.

If you want more info on the conversion, check out www.fordcummins.com

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
If your wanting to go the CUMMINS route I would look at a 94~98 12v P-Pumped truck - as Warden said you can get as much power as your hearts desire out of them without having to deal with the electronics aspect - easier/cheaper convert. The p-pumped trucks run via ONE WIRE just like your IDI. The 24 valve trucks run by many wires. The most sought after 12v's are the later ones I think 96 or 97~98 manual trucks because the pump is rated for 215 hp where as mine is the 180hp pump - now once you change the fuel plate then those numbers don't really mean much but still a later pump with a #10 fuel plate will flow more fuel than an earlier pump with the SAME fuel plate - there are some differences in the internals of the pump - I can't imagine riding in a later pump set up like mine because mine will fry tires like there is no tomorrow - which btw is costing me this week because again I have to replace the freaking tires because they are bald. Just can't seem to keep the ones in the back with tread - don't know what the problem is...

But if it were me I would not stuff a cummins in place of an IDI there is something that just does not sit right with me on that convert - I think that if you really want a cummins then get the dodge package - it's not a bad wrapper like everyone says - this coming from a guy that loved his IDI and Ford wrapper. Just to give you an example I paid just a smidgen under 9 grand for my truck and then put a head gasket on it after bringing it home - suspect that it might have been bad before or I popped it on the way home because she would peg the boost gauge past 35psi hard - have since turned the boost down to 30psi max and she is holding up great. So all told I have about 10 grand invested at this point - I would suspect that to pick up a used motor and do the install you would have around 5~7 grand wrapped up in it - cheaper yes but as I said something about that swap just does not sit well with me when I would open the hood and see a 6 where an 8 should live...

obinella

Reaction score
apextrans said:
Ouch!! He did say hold your guns & the title is" just asking" :D I guess it was a smart move, when I asked this same question, to do it in the Dodge forum. Of course, everybody that replied was from the "basement". Wasn't as brutal though.

If you want more info on the conversion, check out www.fordcummins.com
hummm. i must read this stuff in a different light or mind set. i though TC was being a genuine gentleman and giving his honest heart felt advice in a loving and caring way

obinella

Reaction score
argve: (But if it were me I would not stuff a cummins in place of an IDI there is something that just does not sit right with me on that convert - I think that if you really want a cummins then get the dodge package) (something about that swap just does not sit well with me when I would open the hood and see a 6 where an 8 should live.. ) ------- ok, someone explain to me what is inherently right about an IH engine in a ford and it being just wrong to find any thing else under the hood. ford did put inline engines in there pu trucks, (yes i know its a gas engine) but at first glance it does look like an inline engine. ford doesn't own IH no more than D/C owns cummins, both trucks have been bastardized by the factory. large trucks(ten wheeler dump trucks etc.) can be ordered with any combination of engine,trans, front axel,rear axel, etc. a ford could have a cummins, cat or what ever. so a ford with a cummins is not that unusual. also i come from a generation that would put an olds ohv in any thing that would hold still for it. i once put a hemy in a 50 ford convert, a nail head in a 40 ford pu. always though it neat to be different than the old farts that though it was bs. nowadays everyone buys there ride, i rejoice to see some one take the time and initiative to roll there own. park a dozen stock trucks in a row with one modified, raise or tilt the hoods.which one is going to get the most attention? and it wont be because its inherently wrong.(usually). now don't get me wrong and get your ******* ina ***, i,m not ragging or picking on argiv or anyone else for that matter. it just seems like a case of some one said it and everyone else picks up on it sorta like a mindless chant.example= i just love my wonderful, trouble free idi that runs on one wire and no-one with a lick of sense would own any thing that took two wires---- 6mo later---pos for sale, new owner of a 24 wire xyz.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
obinella said:
hummm. i must read this stuff in a different light or mind set. i though TC was being a genuine gentleman and giving his honest heart felt advice in a loving and caring way

I was just being a smarta$$ & poking a little fun. That's why there was a smilely after it. Towcat always (as far as I've seen) dispenses accurate, no bullcrap advice. I've been the recipient of it many times.

I guess the only thing that makes an IH in a Ford or Cummins in a Dodge "right" is that Ford/Dodge decided that's what should be there. Maybe I'm reading things wrong because it seemed to me like Argve told him what would be best (easiest & cheapest)to swap in & why. Also answered the power questions & told him how to acheive the most from those motors. The rest was just his opinion. Everyone is entitled to that, right?

obinella

Reaction score
apextrans said:
I was just being a smarta$$ & poking a little fun. That's why there was a smilely after it. Towcat always (as far as I've seen) dispenses accurate, no bullcrap advice. I've been the recipient of it many times.

I guess the only thing that makes an IH in a Ford or Cummins in a Dodge "right" is that Ford/Dodge decided that's what should be there. Maybe I'm reading things wrong because it seemed to me like Argve told him what would be best (easiest & cheapest)to swap in & why. Also answered the power questions & told him how to acheive the most from those motors. The rest was just his opinion. Everyone is entitled to that, right?
sure, pretty much sums it up, don't it? ever wonder what would have become of dodge pu's if they would have gone with IH and ford with cummins?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
obinella said:
sure, pretty much sums it up, don't it? ever wonder what would have become of dodge pu's if they would have gone with IH and ford with cummins?

How cool would that be? I bet you wouldn't be able to find one of these as easily as you can now, nor for the relatively low price they sell for either!!!!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
apextrans said:
At least my langauge here is cleaned up compared to when I am talking to you in person. :eek: I will be the first to admit that I do come across a little strong at times. I figured that it was better to "vent" here than on his tubro thread. Problem is there is a price for everything we do. Some things you will have to put out the $$$ and find out if you like it or not. I like the peace of mind on being able to band-aid the truck until it gets to the next stop to get fixed right or fix it on the spot. You can't do that with today's brainiac motors. Yes, you get more power but it comes with a price. So you don't go as fast with a IDI...throw a turbo and a IC on it to bring it up. There's only so much research and questioning one can do. Sooner or later you will have to make a choice to fish or cut bait... Do I like my truck? Overall, yes. Is there room for improvement? You bet. Oh yea, when I am packing a 15k load on the f450, I don't give a damn that I can get to the top of the grade doing 70 I'm just damn happy that I made it to the top without breaking something. ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online