Junkyard etiquette

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I was strolling through the boneyard today, and I have never seen a diesel in the boneyard here before and low and behold, a wrecked f2504x4 IDI !
Well I get to looking and someone had yanked the tranny and somehow in the process, left the hood off ( it looked like they tried to get the engine and tranny together and gave up and dropped the tranny out the bottom ) with the air cleaner off so the engine which looked like it had very recently been rebuilt, had been sucking heavy rainwater for a few weeks:backoff
Then to top it off, I look in the ditch behind it and they had yanked the radiator...a perfect , almost brand new radiator, and pitched it in the ditch, caving in the front of it and bending the filler neck :shoot: :shoot: :shoot: -cuss

Sheesh, used diesel parts are impossible to find around here, I can't believe someone would do that. I bet it was someone with a gasser and they're going to get that tranny home and wonder why it doesn't bolt up.

-------------Robert......in a foul mood :backoff :backoff :backoff

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I was strolling through the boneyard today, and I have never seen a diesel in the boneyard here before and low and behold, a wrecked f2504x4 IDI !
Well I get to looking and someone had yanked the tranny and somehow in the process, left the hood off ( it looked like they tried to get the engine and tranny together and gave up and dropped the tranny out the bottom ) with the air cleaner off so the engine which looked like it had very recently been rebuilt, had been sucking heavy rainwater for a few weeks:backoff
Then to top it off, I look in the ditch behind it and they had yanked the radiator...a perfect , almost brand new radiator, and pitched it in the ditch, caving in the front of it and bending the filler neck :shoot: :shoot: :shoot: -cuss

Sheesh, used diesel parts are impossible to find around here, I can't believe someone would do that. I bet it was someone with a gasser and they're going to get that tranny home and wonder why it doesn't bolt up.

-------------Robert......in a foul mood :backoff :backoff :backoff

That is a real ******. That's exactly why it's hard to find junk yards any more that will let you wander around and look for what you want and remove it yourself. I personally won't go to a yard that you tell them what you want at the counter and they go find it and pull. Hence, I haven't been to a yard in a long time. Most of the time I don't even know I want something until I see it. But I always make sure that I leave the rest in as good as condition as I found it for the next guy.

Tom

SKimballC

Reaction score
Oh man, that gets my goat. Not unlike people(usually yard employees) who CUT wiring harnesses instead of unplugging connectors. I once bought a motor out of a local yard and I told them to not cut a single wire on it. I go back and the guy is like, 'um, I cain't get 'em undone'. So I unplugged the wires myself before they proceeded to pull it. Jackasses.
Another time I go to buy all the parts of a disassembled complete front axle, hun to hub, off an F250. Go back to the truck, the part puller loads all the heavy-ass pieces into my truck, we go back up to the office so I can pay, and the owner takes one look in the back of my truck and tells Cletus that he got the wrong truck. We go back, and he pulls it all back out while I find the right truck, he wades through the foot deep mud to get all the parts from the right truck into the bed of mine... what should have taken 30 minutes took 2 and a half hours.
Did I mention that I no longer enjoy going to the wrecking yard?

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was in the yard the other day, some kind fellow decided to lock the doors of an F-250 I needed parts from. Fourty minutes with a slim jim and one broken window later, we discovered it to be the wrong model year...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
This whole thing just has me torqued. I could have used the engine and the radiator. Looks like they were both replaced at the same time and by the looks of the stickers on the radiator, I'd guess 4-6 months.
It would have been $350 for the engine and $50 for the radiator , but by now the cylinders most likely look like rust pit heaven. heck, it could be full up to the valley pan gasket by now the way it's been raining.

There ought to be an appropriate punishment for folks like that :idiot:

--------Robert

SKimballC

Reaction score
Yup, castration and frontal lobotomy, not that it'd be much different from how they already act.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was in the yard the other day, some kind fellow decided to lock the doors of an F-250 I needed parts from. Fourty minutes with a slim jim and one broken window later, we discovered it to be the wrong model year...

Errrr, for future reference you can open the wing window with a master cylinder cap retaining clip. Clip end under bottom of window, push button, twist handle. Wing window is usually the easiest way into anything that has one.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unfortunately thats what you gotta deal with in junkyards.the yards i go to will take all the cars/trucks with good engines and trannies and put them in a seperate yard that only employees and a select few(of wich i am one of he select few)can get into.locked doors aint a problem.just pop a window out of it,unless you wanna fight with it for a while to unlock it.the fun thing to do at the junkyard is get a spark plug,smash the white part and use the pices to break windows.i do this to the ricers.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
......the fun thing to do at the junkyard is get a spark plug,smash the white part and use the pices to break windows.i do this to the ricers.
And yet you still think you are somehow better than the idiot who ruined the IDI motor and radiator? :rolleyes:

Even if it is a ricer, somebody can probably use the parts - including windows. -cuss

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yet you still think you are somehow better than the idiot who ruined the IDI motor and radiator? :rolleyes:

Even if it is a ricer, somebody can probably use the parts - including windows. -cuss

first off did i say i was better?i dont think so.i could care less about the ricer crowd.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Um, I thought the point of the tread was to demonstrate the value of a certain amount of respect and manners toward those that might be following behind us in the boneyard, whether or not they are part of "our crowd".

Trashing parts that you don't need, just because you can, seems pointlessly destructive.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um, I thought the point of the tread was to demonstrate the value of a certain amount of respect and manners toward those that might be following behind us in the boneyard, whether or not they are part of "our crowd".

Trashing parts that you don't need, just because you can, seems pointlessly destructive.

Exactly

first off did i say i was better?i dont think so.i could care less about the ricer crowd.

And obviously whoever let that IDI and radiator go to waste didn't care much about OUR crowd. Ya' know what? I see your attitude as being even worse. They let the IDI go to waste out of carelessness/lazyness. You are willfully and intentionally destroying things other people need. And what about the owner of the yard? Care about him? You are destroying parts that are his property and that he purchased with the intent of selling.

The whole attitude of "I only care about me and mine and to hell with everyone else" just SUX, and says volumes about the people that have that attitude. 95% of the world's problems would simply cease to be problems if that attitude could somehow be eliminated.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Errrr, for future reference you can open the wing window with a master cylinder cap retaining clip. Clip end under bottom of window, push button, twist handle. Wing window is usually the easiest way into anything that has one.

Haha, now you tell me! That's the window the parts guy broke, but he probably would have preferred the clip trick.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
I see this kind of stuff at my local yard, good seats with greasy finger trails all over them, wasted radiators, And the number one..... aircleaners left lying around and a water filled intake.
U know what really gets my goat however, yards that punch holes in fuel tanks, and any kind of oil pans just to make sure there isnt anything in it.
BUT and this is my BIGGEST petpeve, only because I spent weeks trying to find one, BENT driveshafts. I had a 78 chevy dually that needed a shaft, found lots of em, BENT from the stupid forks on a fork lift or wheel loader!

There should be some kind of etiquette. And as posted before
Yup, castration and frontal lobotomy, not that it'd be much different from how they already act.