It's gonna be Intercooled.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i'd rather have the front axle incase i get stuck on wet grass and can easily avoid a $50 tow bill, or and angry landowner chewing out my ass b/c i tore the crap outta his grass spinning my way out, where if i had a front axle, lock 'em in and shove it in 4wd, spend a little now, save alot (of aggravation) later! ;Sweet kinda like what i'm doing with the scout, i'll pony up ALOT ( :puke: ) now so it'll last later. plus i go in the woods, the only thing i ever saw go good in the woods that was 2wd was a '88 grand marquis i had, WITH TIRE CHAINS!!! :rotflmao it was a good time. cookoo

-Jon

IMHO you need AAA because you must get stuck alot;Poke .

In 27 years and well over 1 million documented miles of driving I have been towed 3 times in my cars / pickups and had lock out service once.
  1. 1980 Jeep CJ5- stolen and recovered in 1986 with ventilated engine block, 4wd would not have helped - Cost $0 - paid by insurance
  2. 1982 Ford F150 4x4, Stripped splines on rear axle shaft in 1992 - Towed to prevent further damage vs putting it in 4wd - tow bill $186 - my cost $0 - paid by insurance
  3. 2000 Ford F-350 2wd dually - locked keys in truck in july 2007 - called AAA - my cost $0
  4. 2000 Ford F-350 2wd dually - water pump bearing went bad pulling my travel trailer, shut truck down before it over heated in aug 2007 - cost of tow $100 - my cost $0 - covered by insurance
Now in not having 4wd on my last 3 trucks I have prolly saved about $8000 - $10,000

I've had three 4x4s and having 4wd has never "saved" me money. My tow bills have NEVER cost me money, only time. Now if you are working construction in the mud all the time (especially new construction) or something else like that they can help make you money, otherwise they are simply a luxury for bragging rights.

Only time I ever needed 4wd was when I wanted to play in the mud, snow and sand.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I like 4x4 just because of all the camping and fishing locations i visit. That and we have some wicked fun roads to go 4x4ing on around here.

Oh, and i like the stance/ride height of a 4x4. They just look better, well, unless it's a dually. I've seen some real **** crew cab dually's with 2wd.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score

In 27 years and well over 1 million documented miles of driving I have been towed 3 times in my cars / pickups and had lock out service once.
  1. 1980 Jeep CJ5- stolen and recovered in 1986 with ventilated engine block, 4wd would not have helped - Cost $0 - paid by insurance
  2. 1982 Ford F150 4x4, Stripped splines on rear axle shaft in 1992 - Towed to prevent further damage vs putting it in 4wd - tow bill $186 - my cost $0 - paid by insurance
  3. 2000 Ford F-350 2wd dually - locked keys in truck in july 2007 - called AAA - my cost $0
  4. 2000 Ford F-350 2wd dually - water pump bearing went bad pulling my travel trailer, shut truck down before it over heated in aug 2007 - cost of tow $100 - my cost $0 - covered by insurance
Now in not having 4wd on my last 3 trucks I have prolly saved about $8000 - $10,000

I've had three 4x4s and having 4wd has never "saved" me money. My tow bills have NEVER cost me money, only time. Now if you are working construction in the mud all the time (especially new construction) or something else like that they can help make you money, otherwise they are simply a luxury for bragging rights.

Only time I ever needed 4wd was when I wanted to play in the mud, snow and sand.

.... :confused: ok yeah, i know AAA is the way to go, i've yet to get STUCK, broke down more times then i can count (especially with **** *** motors in the truck -cuss that's why the IH 6.9 came in) but like what '92 said, it just LOOKS better and 99.9% of the time it's better off having it for the "it's there when i need it" factor, like apple pie with no ice cream, i can eat it but it just ain't as good! :dunno

-Jon

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Of course, some of them fishin holes i could probably get to in 2wd if i wasn't driving a crew cab long bed pickup.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only thing i ever saw go good in the woods that was 2wd was a '88 grand marquis i had, WITH TIRE CHAINS!!! :rotflmao it was a good time. cookoo
You never saw my dad's '92 Chrysler LeBaron, then! Front wheel drive, completely stock except for "aggressive" tires, and he would routinely take that car out into the desert...going some places where 4x4's wouldn't venture into.

And he wondered why the steering and the tranny failed so quickly :dunno :rotflmao never got stuck, though! ;Sweet

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
well i can agree with the points tonka listed but i still want my 4x4. i regularly use it on my or my parent property because of the hills getting wood, unsticking a tractor, moving a playhouse or whatever. i also have to burn my vacation if i cant get to work in the bad weather. i use my pichup as a pickup several times a month so and it is not worth me getting a secound car that might make it in the snow. so 4x4 is worth it in my book, i have had to "save" multiple family and friends when they got stuck with there cars in the snow, not including people i just help out.

to each there own, i think allot of people could give up there 4x4 SUV's and not be any worse off though. its funny sometimes they are the first to stay home so they dont mess it up.:rolleyes:

I have had multiple 2wd trucks and had plenty of time i wished it was 4x4 even with careful driving and allot of weight in the back. i never regretted getting a 4x4 truck though.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

Unless things have changed with AAA etc, they will tow you...but not if you're off the pavement on unimproved roads etc. Used to be if you were off fishing, you were on your own. That said, never had trouble finding someone to hookup to the other end of the tow strap.
I haven't had anything 4x4 in years. I'd have to be doing a lot more offroad to make it worth while. I've spent a whole lot more maintaining 4wd systems over the years I owned them, than I've ever got out of them. Not to mention the extra fuel :eek:

Now a rear locker on the other hand.......;Sweet

-------Robert

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Darrin IC is a great idea for that engine, You'll love it but the Ic on the pic looks too small for this engine, I know that one is almost free but You need an IC like the ones on psd trucks. I would give You the one I have (05 psd IC) but it is waiting for the engine You'll get Me :D once I save all My pennies.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I have to agree with Tonka. Four wheel drive is not a requirement. I drove my '92 SRW crewcab (2WD) for years and never got stuck. I bought my new truck and, for the minimal price difference, wouldn't consider not having 4WD. Over the last year I've used the 4WD more times than I can remember...and some of them were actually necessary. One reason is it's way more convenient to push that button on the dash than it is to get out and lock the hubs then put the transfer case in drive.:rotflmao

Tom

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I live in the snow/rust belt and can count on one hand how many times I've NEEDED 4X4 in the past 5 years. I drive my 4X2 all over job sites, and have never been stuck.

$X$ is overhyped. For most it's not needed, and is just a macho thang.

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
i use the 4wd in my f-250 a good bit in the summer to help me get traction pulling a loaded hay wagon or gooseneck full of hay out of the creek bottom fields that we make hay in. In the winters around here i use it a good bit, since i live across the mountain from town, work, and everything else. and you almost need 4wd or atleast the ground clearance to get up the old logging road to our hunting camp

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
2wd vrs 4wd, thought about a 2x when I bought the 00, it was only 2 weeks old when I needed 4wd in the back yard..
was camping a few yrs back and had to pull a 5er out for a guy because his 2x couldnt.
even had to make a road trip up north with the old 84 to get a 5er off site because the cc dually would go in the wet grass.

and perhaps one of the best 4x4 moments was just last year after I did the trans swap we were goiun camping , since i needed front end work, I was just gonna leave the front drive shaft off.
well Im glad i didnt, pulled in and the CG was a grass field and it rained, I need 4wd to get to my spot, then when someone (who will be nameless) pulls in and goes to turn his 2wd and 5er around gte stuck I had to pull him out. then he went that weekend and bought a 4wd.

I personally could not live without my 4x4.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I needed 4x4 to get up my driveway in the winter (too steep at the bottom). but Never had it.... Just gave it a good run and hoped I would get stopped before the back of the garage or slid into the camper...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger