It's Done! The Final 6.9 Project Report! (I hope)

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heath -

Thanks for taking the time and effort to document the OH project. I gotta tell ya, the pics and the comments are an outstanding help! I've been using our color printer to print off everything from your threads - especially the pics. This info will be put to serious use when I get my stuff back from the machine shop and get started putting stuff back together. Thanks again! ;Sweet

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question I forgot to ask is, do you plan to paint the truck like you did the other one?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 84 fuel gauge acted funny and FSV worked sometimes and it ended up being a bad ground at the FSV. I cleaned the connections at the plug and rust and corrosion in general at frame. No problems in 3 yrs.
I hope it's something simple like that. I'm going to give it a good inspection tomorrow night and hopefully know for sure if I need new parts or not. Local Ford dealer want $160 per sender!:puke:

First off, a big thanks for the excellent documentation! Loved following your build and I'm gonna miss it in some weird way... ;Sweet

If your max EGT was 850, do you think you have some room to turn up the pump? :sly
I'm not going to miss farting around with this project. It's taken too much of my time and resorces away from a project I've been wanting to start for a long time......... a project you've already started........ My DT466 repower!:hail I'm going to leave the fuel alone. I've got the power I need to haul the camper without having to worry about EGT's or water temps. It seems to have the perfect combo/compromise of power and normal/less damaging engine parameters. Sure I could turn up my Moose, but I really think I've got what I need where it is. One thing I really want to do at the Rally is have Mel time that pump and then, it sould really be running at it's best. As it is now, I'm pretty sure it's a bit advanced.

Another question I forgot to ask is, do you plan to paint the truck like you did the other one?
Nah. I'm going to keep the period correct two tone brown paint scheme. I like the stock appearence of the truck and that is why I went to such pains to make the IC install work without removing/cutting up any of the stock trim/valvance/grill pieces. She does need a good cleaning inside and out, she's a mess right now. LOL

Heath -

Thanks for taking the time and effort to document the OH project. I gotta tell ya, the pics and the comments are an outstanding help! I've been using our color printer to print off everything from your threads - especially the pics. This info will be put to serious use when I get my stuff back from the machine shop and get started putting stuff back together. Thanks again! ;Sweet
My pleasure man. Those photos help me as well. I know what I've done to the sucker years later so there is no second guessing what I used, how I put it together, and if I missed somthing. Can't wait to see your rig finished buddy. Keep us up to date ok.

Heath

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heath do you plan on adding an intercooler to your other truck? You could pump up boost and fuel a bit on that truck and still be really reliable. Or you can even keep boost the same and make a lil more power and lower egts a bit. I just think it would be cool to see what your Moose Pump can do maxed out cus I haven't seen anyone do it yet and then run it on a dyno. :D

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Great job and very well documented Heath! I sure wish I could make it up to Michigan to see it, but Bonnie is in no shape to make a trip like that right now. We'll miss seeing you guys this year!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath do you plan on adding an intercooler to your other truck? You could pump up boost and fuel a bit on that truck and still be really reliable. Or you can even keep boost the same and make a lil more power and lower egts a bit. I just think it would be cool to see what your Moose Pump can do maxed out cus I haven't seen anyone do it yet and then run it on a dyno. :D
I'm not planning on adding an intercooler to the F250. I'm not going to take it any further with the IDI. It will, however, get the DT466 I have as well as the Fuller transmission and some other fun modifications. I can't wait to get started on that project. It's going to get stupid for sure.LOL

Great job and very well documented Heath! I sure wish I could make it up to Michigan to see it, but Bonnie is in no shape to make a trip like that right now. We'll miss seeing you guys this year!
Thanks a lot Gary. I'm really sorry to hear that you and Bonnie aren't going to make it to the Rally. Missy and I are keeping Bonnie in our prayers. God Bless.

Heath

Last edited:

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the DT466 was going to go in. I look forward to seeing that build.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the DT466 was going to go in. I look forward to seeing that build.

I can't wait to get it started. I already have the IP and turbos for it. It sitting there in the shop........ just teasing me with all that potential power.LOL

When it kicks off, I'll start a new project thread for sure.

Heath

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With it sitting there it would definitely be hard to ignore. Haha. It will really be a unique truck when it is done.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to chase down the problems with my fuelt tank selector valve and both my sending units. I swapped the valve on Saturday (what a fun diesel fuel bath that was LOL). It is a used unit, and it does switch from tank to tank, but the senders still are NOT showing the fuel level in either tank. They worked when I bought the truck, but aren't now. May need senders, but I fear the problem is still in the FSV.

I've lost the brake light and turn signal on the driver's side. It's not the bulb either. Likely something in the column which sucks, as I hate screwing around in the column, but I'll try and sort it out/fix it tonight. Not wanted to travel, camper in tow, with no brake light/turn signal on that side.

I'm also pulled the fuel heater out of the 7.3 fuel filter head on the truck and tapped the hole with a 1/2 NPT and put a pipe plug in the hole. Trying to find a sealant that will not dissolve in diesel fuel has been a challege. JB Quik seems to be doing the job though.

Heath

Last edited:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to chase down the problems with my fuelt tank selector valve and both my sending units. I swapped the valve on Saturday (what a fun diesel fuel bath that was LOL). It is a used unit, and it does switch from tank to tank, but the senders still are NOT showing the fuel level in either tank. They worked when I bought the truck, but aren't now. May need senders, but I fear the problem is still in the FSV.

I've lost the brake light and turn signal on the driver's side. It's not the bulb either. Likely something in the column which sucks, as I hate screwing around in the column, but I'll try and sort it out/fix it tonight. Not wanted to travel, camper in tow, with no brake light/turn signal on that side.

I'm also pulled the fuel heater out of the 7.3 fuel filter head on the truck and tapped the hole with a 1/2 NPT and put a pipe plug in the hole. Trying to find a sealant that will not dissolve in diesel fuel has been a challege. JB Quik seems to be doing the job though.

Heath

Heath,

Of course my first advice to your FSV situation is to swap in manual valves and ALL problems solved; lacking that, I have a means of eliminating the FSV from the gauge equation.

There are only three gauge wires at the FSV, one from each tank and one to the dash.

Clip these wires free of the FSV and route them through a SPDT toggle-switch; I have mine poking through the floor beside the driver's seat; there is no reason you couldn't run longer wires and put the switch in the dash.

Put the wire to the gauge on the CENTER terminal and the tank wires on the other two terminals.

Before doing all of this, you can test the senders by un-plugging the wires at the FSV and jumpering the gauge wire to each of the tank wires.

If you get gauge action, then the FSV is at fault.

Also, thoroughly clean the connections at the tanks and apply a generous blob of Vaseline, both inside the connections and all over the outside; water WILL NOT mess with Vaseline and will not invade anywhere that is thus protected.

Now for the signal/brake-light problems.

The factory switch inside the column of these year models is barely capable of handling the original lights.

Add a trailer and a few extra lights and they will melt down.

Put all the signal bulbs on relays, one for RIGHT and one for LEFT, such that the switch only triggers the relays and that should cure the problem.

After the switch in my truck caught fire for the second time, I replaced it with an external mount Signal-Stat and I love it. :)

jmjc123

Reaction score
I am very interested in your build up. Unfortunately I can't seem to get any of the pictures to come up. What can I do to alleviate the problem, any ideas? I did talk to you awhile back when you had just embarked on a trip, but unfortunately our cell phones made the conversation just a bit sketchy. I would welcome any & all the guidance & impressions you have on the new set up for mainly towing.

If you have a moment feel free to give me a call, you have my #.

Thanks John Carolan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.