Getting back on the 6.9 horse.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So almost 10 years ago I decided I would build a hi-po 6.9. I had picked up 2 6.9's with bad head gaskets locally for a song. They even came with a complete gasket kit and an IP of unknown condition.

In 2008 there weren't a lot of proven high HP IDI's out there. I'm thinking there was a Dave S guy and a Ken DPS guy that had both built strong engines at the time but no idea what the actual HP/torque was on them. I had read up on their engines a little but wasn't trying to copy them. Some details might be similar but it's an engine. There's only so much different you can do.

I had decided to build it a certain way. The specifics would be:

Reduced compression. .050 milled from the piston tops. I felt that a lowered compression would allow for higher boost (ie more oxygen) without lifting the heads.

ARP studs. I much prefer the way a stud works to a bolt. Regardless of strength. But studs are usually stronger as well.

Ported heads. I knew the thoughts of this being unnecessary but decided to do it anyway. For science.

Moose pump. I had purchased one from @Agnem in November of 2007. It was still in it's sealed bag back then.

Ford ATS 093 factory kit. Found it on the bay and rebuilt the turbo. Was going to be my starting point.

NOS 2000 Powerstroke intercooler. Friend had it. We did some horse trading and I ended up with it.

I also went ahead and got a new set of matched injectors from Typ4.

First thing was pistons. I found a new set of sealed power 6.9 pistons .040 over on the bay for $200. So those were purchased. Then I had .050 milled from the tops of them. Here is one after milling.
You must be registered for see images attach

Then I took the block and crank to the machine shop to have the cylinders bored out for the pistons.
Not a great picture but all my pictures of the bored cylinders are blurry for some reason.

I did some head porting as well. A picture after finishing one of the ports.

I also did a little blending around the valve guide. This may or may not have been a good idea but again, Science.

continued........

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet! What year is the motor? I really like the older 6.9 prechamber (82-85) from a performance standpoint, the prechambers are a smaller volume which lends to easier ignition and a lot of velocity for combustion gasses as well as having a bit more meat around the outside port. The porting looks good, on some of these older heads theres a small vertical casting ridge on the intake ports that I like to smooth down as well, otherwise the intake side is much better finish than in the exhaust. Are you going to coat the tops of the pistons? I really like to coat pistons that have more than 25 cut off them. Whats your power goal?

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I am planning to Cerakote the piston tops. If there is a better brand easily available I'd go that route but everything else I've looked into requires a vendors license and I'm not going through all that trouble. Not paying someone to do it either. I've got all the equipment I need currently.

Motor year? I am not currently sure. I'll check when I get back to my shop (might be a couple weeks). Is there any identifying info in the casting numbers?

And thanks on the porting comments. Was my first go at it. I did do lots of research prior to starting and was hoping that had paid off.

Here is a picture of a precup. Don't know if that tells you anything.

Another from further back.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The serial number on the block will give us an idea of when it was, but pretty much if it had the older style rockers it likely had the older prechambers as well. Cerakote works great when done right, I wouldn’t recommend any other brand.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next installment.

I had the crank turned while the block was at the machine shop. It came back in a bag which I now wish I had left sealed but didn't realize at the time the course my life would be taking in the near future.

And here is my collection of parts at the time. Somewhere around July/August of 2009.

I was also sitting on this with the intention of putting it on the 6.9.

Apparently my timing was good because at the time you could still get a crossover pipe from ATS.

What ended up happening is I rebuilt the stock turbo and not too long after collecting a good bit of the 6.9 parts I was at a point where I needed to invest in the farm more than the truck so I never purchased Bearings or rings. Due to these holdups I decided to go ahead and install the turbo and moose pump on the 7.3 currently in the truck.

I got it all installed, and made my own 3" downpipe adapted to the stock Ford exhaust flange. I had the pipe bent at a local muffler shop and am not happy about the crimps but it was all I get at the time.

More coming soon.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the lack of updates but I've been traveling with work lately. Going to be in and out of Austin TX a lot the next couple months so progress will be slow.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you do for work? I’m a bit over an hour south of Austin, north of San Antonio. If you find yourself in the area don’t be shy!

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I engineer and program control systems for conveyors and packaging equipment.

Thanks for the invite. If I can squeeze out some free time I'll be sure to drop by. I'm currently working out near the COTA complex.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greg, that is looking like a very nice project man. Any thoughts about your turbo options? Have you talked to Mel? Love the turbo I picked up from him. Does a heck of a job on my 6.9 for hauling. Hope you can make the rally again this July. It was really cool to finally meet you and hang out around the campfire.

Heath

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Heath. I really did enjoy meeting you guys at the rally last year. I'm planning on being there again this year.

As far as the turbo goes I'm all over the place. Part of me wants to do custom stainless manifolds with duals. Another part of me says just call Mel. Yet another part of me is looking over turbo maps when I have time seeing if I want to try something new/experimental.

Ultimately budget and spare time will answer this for me.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I engineer and program control systems for conveyors and packaging equipment.

Thanks for the invite. If I can squeeze out some free time I'll be sure to drop by. I'm currently working out near the COTA complex.

Hey so do I! Who do you work for?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online