And it lives... well mostly!

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil level sensors for the pan & transmission. The sensor itself is Gems 1701 and is available off amazon for something like $30. It's a well built brass/plastic unit rated to 250*. The float is reversible so it can be installed either direction. The sensor has 1/8" npt threads, so setting up fittings is easy. One thing I did find was that the wires are a tight fit in 1/8" pipe, especially the elbow. With the way I located the sensor and installed a slosh baffle it was necessary to install the elbow first than first wires through and try to get them to rotate smoothly when the float was tightened. One of the original sensors I had was destroyed due to wiring damage as a result of this 1/4" pipe works better but there was still problems feeding it through the elbow.

The good news is that there is tons of space in the pan for a float sensor.

I also installed several flanges for temp sensors, oil drains and the like. Unfortunately, I discovered that the first pan had some serious cracking problems after I got done with all of the work. I had brazed the flanges in and welded the anti slosh baffle and the bottom protection strip on - this must have caused thermal issues. The 2nd attempt was TIG welded together and I used a propane torch to try to get some preheating - seems to have worked.

I also installed a level sensor for the trans (ZF5) mounted on a PTO plate. The best way seemed to be having it mounted pointing up from the bottom sitting between 2 gears. The clearances are tight but it worked. It looks like it would have tripped with about 1 qt remaining in the sump - Lower than I'd like but better than nothing. Ultimately the sensor that was supposed to go here was actually used for the oil pan since I ripped the wires out of that one accidentally

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics