And it lives... well mostly!

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the truck out for a test drive yesterday, finally. ;Sweet Was supposed to be a ~3 week project (hopefully) that turned into 2 months mainly due to the machine shop being slow.

Work that was done:
Full motor rebuild with 0.015" decked ceramic coated pistons & typ4 cam.
Semi rebuilt heads with stainless valves and performance springs. Heads were ~25k on a rebuild (from NMB4) and installed new stainless intake valves, & performance springs and shims from typ4.
HX35 turbo sitting on my original homemade mount and exhaust setup.
Frozen boost air to water intercooler
Custom intake
Full moose pump
Modified oil pan with level switch and ports for external oil cooler, aux temp sensor & oil separator drains.
Hydroboost conversion
New aluminum radiator (not originally planned but a side effect of my OEM radiator getting stolen :mad:)
Installed ZF5-S47 trans (apparently recently rebuilt but with no records)

Still have to finish installing the radiator & pump for the intercooler and rebuild the AC system

My initial impressions from driving it are pretty good. The hydro brake setup is definitely much more powerful than the vacuum unit. Almost have to relearn how to drive since the brake is so sensitive now. The HX35 screams pretty good and it seems to be much more powerful than the old setup. (semi functional Banks wg turbo) I've got some pretty good boost leaks (ran out of argon before I finished welding the intercooler pipes) and I haven't set the timing yet but she seems to make 3-5 psi empty and pulls well. Have to see how she pulls loaded once I get her broken in more.

Only real problem I've found so far is a nice oil leak from the front of the motor - either front of the oil pan or front seal and I'm guessing (and hoping) it's the seal.

I have pictures and will eventually get around to putting together a project thread... in my spare time! LOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wel congradulations on getting done thus far. Setting the timing will help plenty. As for relearning how to use the brakes.. Welcome to the hydroboost clug. Be sure everyone wears a seat belt or they may change places like touch the windshield or back seat riders coming up front in a hurry. Thos hydro units double the brakeing pressure in the lines. Theres no reason to think you need that much pressure and usually stopping is done very simpley and easy. But if its needed its surely there. Once the truck is road worthy load it up with about 1500 lbs of anything you can find. Then find a grade and drive it up and down that grade. Enjoy the new feel of the engine too.:thumbsup:

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good job getting it running. I'll have to come by and check it out sometime. So is the 3-5psi just cruise boost or is that max boost? I wasn't sure cus you said you had boost leaks.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Videos??? That's hi tech - I'm still working getting pictures! Doesn't help any that I dropped the camera in my parts washer bucket. :rolleyes:

I was getting ~5 psi max boost when I was out playing with it, but that's because I was running out of rpm before she really got spun up, plus I wasn't going to really put my foot into it. Wastegate on the HX35 is set to somewhere around 20 psi.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going up the hill on 52 in 4th and when I tried to put my foot into it she got going too fast before really building much boost. I need to try it with more of a load. After it's a bit more broken in. Not sure what rpm I was actually turning but it felt like it was getting higher than I'd like. Tach sensor broke putting it in so I'm waiting on a new one.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have to get use to it. I know an heard many times of how you drive an your gonna really really hate having your governor set so low it sucks balls IMO. You will loose xy speed per gear so you running around 25mph in second before you wanna shift at like 15 mph because it tachs out so early! I tach out with a regular gov at 35mph in 2nd gear not with a moose like 25 mph an it bounces off bad. An BE PREPARED TO USE 1st gear EVERY take off or you will **** people of or get a ticket from cops it will puke black smoke everywhere. I use 1st regaurdless but must here I read thinks it takes to much time cause 1st is not a granny like most think.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I wasn't aware the moose pumps used the U-Haul/medium duty governor.
Or is it just the bull moose?

He didn't mean he was at max rpm. I read it as he was already going too fast before full throttle.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the bull moose runs a 2800 gov. He doesn't have a tach just by ear. he ran outta rpm before boost climbed to high. An I can believe that as John is very carefull with his right foot an doesn't like to turn past 2k an most days. The hill he was on is not long but it's steep kinda great hill for a run. The moose will put more than 5 psi with his set-up. however it does tach extremely low I never thought it would be that big of a difference. I hate it wouldn't put a 2800 gov in my truck for nothing at all towing I set around 2500-2800 towing up high an some times higher. You'll loose speed per gear.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the bull moose runs a 2800 gov. He doesn't have a tach just by ear. he ran outta rpm before boost climbed to high. An I can believe that as John is very carefull with his right foot an doesn't like to turn past 2k an most days. The hill he was on is not long but it's steep kinda great hill for a run. The moose will put more than 5 psi with his set-up. however it does tach extremely low I never thought it would be that big of a difference. I hate it wouldn't put a 2800 gov in my truck for nothing at all towing I set around 2500-2800 towing up high an some times higher. You'll loose speed per gear.
do you have proof a bull moose pump uses a med duty governor? that kind of speculation is pure horseshit.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You guys guesing and posting your thoughts about a Bull Moose having a 2800 rpm spring is really terrible. shame on you guys for GUESSING AT THAT. I'm not boasting but I have had two Bull Moose pumps and none of them are the uhaul low rpm springs. Like towcat posted. Thats plain horseshit.. Or in this case its ********...... I can see the 3800 rpm anytime I choose too with the moose pumps.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score

FALSE! A Bull moose is goverened to 3400 just as they came on the pickup series engines!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score

Nope.. No way does a bull moose pump run a 2800 rpm spring. Like towcat posted. thats horseshit or in this case pure Bull Moose ****. Double shame on you guys for that post. Its a shame it is. That isn't even a wag...:angel:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online